The holidays are around the corner, which can mean parties and gatherings centered on food. Are you wondering how you will maintain healthy eating while indulging in some of your favorite holiday foods? First, keep in mind that one treat, one meal, or one day of eating differently will not drastically change your health. On occasion, it is important to treat yourself and enjoy your favorite foods. Moderation is key. A healthy diet isn’t void of rich decadent desserts or butter laden casseroles. Here are a few tips to help keep your food choices nutritious and your treats in moderation during the holiday season:
- Eat only when you are hungry, not when food is near.
- Use a plate, even when snacking; it will help you eat less.
- Don’t skip meals. This will lead to overeating at meal times because you are so hungry.
- Eat more slowly and savor each bite.
- Pay attention to flavors, textures, and temperatures for more satisfaction in your eating.