Meal planning, grocery shopping and cooking for yourself can be exciting but it can be overwhelming. Healthy eating, when cooking for yourself, is possible when you are on a college student budget.
Let’s explore ways you can plan out meals for the week:
- Map out meals for the week.
- Use a Meal Planning Worksheet, if it’s helpful .
- Know what foods you have on hand already.
- Think about your schedule. Choose meals that are easy to prepare on busy days and save longer recipes for weekends or days when you have more time.
- Cook several meals at once when you have free time. In other words, make lasagna or a casserole that can be used for several meals. The extra food can be reheated or finished after a busy day.
- Use a crockpot to create meals that are ready when you get home.
- Check out nutritious and delicious recipes and view cooking videos on www.healthypennstate.psu.edu for ideas.
- Make a grocery list
- Can use scratch paper, templates or mobile apps.
- Keep an ongoing list in your kitchen or on your phone.