Jessica Culver is now in the role of Education Program Associate managing the Center’s schedule and data. She replaces Bev Whitman who retired in March. Jessica can be reached at 717-531-4099 or by email at email@example.com. The Clinical Simulation Center thanks Bev for her work and dedication in helping the Center achieve its successes.
Upcoming Position Openings
Dr. Angel Diaz Sanchez will be starting a residency program in anesthesia at Penn State Hershey beginning July 2017. Dr. Sanchez’s role as Simulation Educator will be posted soon at the Penn State Health careers website – http://hmc.pennstatehealth.org/for-health-care-professionals/careers.
Tammi Bortner, Resuscitation Sciences Training Center Program Manager, will be retiring this summer. This position which includes management of the Center’s American Heart Association programs will be posted soon at the Penn State Health careers website – http://hmc.pennstatehealth.org/for-health-care-professionals/careers.
New Simulation Fellow
Nataliya Bilger, MD, has joined the Clinical Simulation Center as our newest Simulation Education and Research Fellow. Trained as a ENT surgeon in Ukraine, her original medical training was as a nurse. For more information, access our Simulation Fellowship page at http://sites.psu.edu/hersheysimulation/about-us/simulation-fellowship/.
Upcoming Faculty Development Calendar
- Webinar, April 5, 2 Pm to 3 PM, in the Simulation Center – “Quality Assurance to Assure SP Quality: What Should We Pay Attention To?” with Tony Errichetti, PhD, Director, Doctor-Patient Communication Assessment National Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners.
- Laerdal Medical Local Simulation User Network (SUN) conference, April 26, Pleasant Gap, PA. More information is HERE.
- Philadelphia Area Simulation Consortium will be held on June 15 at Drexel University Center City Campus. The session agenda and a request for program abstract will be announced soon. Typically this program starts at 9 AM and ends by 4 PM to allow same day travel. This meeting will be hosted by the Simulation Programs at Drexel University: Kathy Ryan, MD; Sharon Griswold-Theodorson, , MD, MPH, FAAEM; and Rocky Rockstraw, PhD, RN. For more information, contact – firstname.lastname@example.org.
- International Pediatric Simulation Symposia and Workshop (IPSSW), Boston, June 1 -3, 2017 – More information at http://ipssglobal.org/ipssw-2017/.
- Association of Standardized Patient Educators (ASPE), Alexandria, VA, June 5-7, 2017 – More information at http://www.aspeducators.org/.
- International Meeting in Simulation in Healthcare (IMSH), Los Angeles, CA, January 13-17, 2017 – More information at http://www.ssih.org/Events/IMSH-2018
- Penn State Hershey Simulation Instructor Course: Two courses in 2017, July 10-14, and October 2-6. Visit the Instructor Course page for more information.
Contact our office for other faculty development opportunities.
Recent Simulation Related Publications by Penn State Hershey Simulation Faculty and Staff
- Ambardekar A, Singh D, Lockman JL, Rodgers DL, Hales RL, Gurnaney HG, Nathan A, & Deutsch ES. Pediatric Anesthesiology Fellow Education: Is a Simulation-Based Boot Camp Feasible and Valuable? Pediatric Anesthesia. 2016; 26(5): 481-487.
- Bruno CJ, Glass KM. Cost-effective and low-technology options for simulation and training in neonatology, Semin Perinatol. 2016; 40; 473-479.
- Gyory R, Buchle SE, Rodgers DL, & Lubin JS. The efficacy of LUCAS in prehospital cardiac arrest scenarios: A crossover mannequin study. Western Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2017 (Epub ahead of print).
- Levine J, Jones-Bell LJ, Crim H, Dannenmeyer D, Halford-Cook C, Mills J, More L, Parker NW, Schubert-Bob P, Shelton M, Storhoff S, & Tealey J. (2017). Ambulatory Care Registered Nurse Residency Program: Transition to the Specialty Of Ambulatory Care (J. Levine, Ed). American Academy of Ambulatory Care Nursing, Pittman, NJ.
- McIvor WR, Banerjee A, Boulet JR, Bekhuis T, Tseytlin E, Torsher L,DeMaria S, Rask JP, Shotwell MS, Burden A, Cooper JB, Gaba DM, Levine A, Park C, Sinz EH, Steadman RH, & Weinger MB. A Taxonomy of Delivery and Documentation Deviations During Delivery of High-Fidelity Simulations. Simulation in Healthcare. 2017; 12(1); 1–8.
- Neylan CJ, Nelson EF, Dumon KR, Morris JB, Williams NN, Dempsey DT, Kelz RR, Fisher CS, Allen SR. Medical School Surgical Boot Camps: A Systematic Review. J Surg Educ.2017 [Epub ahead of print]
- Tisdale EJ, Wojnar, M, & Sinz, EH. Developing Continuing Professional Education in the Health and Medical Professions Through Collaboration. New Directions for Adult and Continuing Education. 2016. 151:69-79.