Grapes of Wrath

This week, as you can tell from the title, I want to discuss a classic, The Grapes of Wrath (I can hear the sighs now). I was also subjected to reading this novel in high school, but I assure you the movie was worth the watch. I won’t delve into a plot synopsis of the novel because I assume you have all read or “read” it.

grapesofwrath

What I love about this movie is the way that Ford utilizes the camera for different effects and helps make the novel come to life. He films the majority of the film with an objective camera as a means to increase the realism of the film version of The Grapes of Wrath. This cinematic technique uses the camera as a silent observer to the struggles of a real life poor family. While at times it might have been hard to empathize with the characters in the novel, the realism of the film draws the audience’s into a compassionate understanding of the plight of the Dust Bowl migrants. There are certain moments when Ford later diverges from this type of camera work to a subjective type, it is purposeful and further heightens emotions. In this case, Ford uses POV to place the viewer into the shoes of the Joad family, as well as all the other poor Okies that are forced to live in the makeshift camps or Hoovervilles. The spectator is transported into the camp and essentially becomes a member of their ranks, which was crafted to evoke sympathy from the audience. Ford’s goal was to shine a light on the destitute conditions of the working man and garner empathy from the viewing audience.

grapes

A large complain about this movie was the fact that the producer changed the ending to ensure that the overall political message of the book and the film were subdued. While I am certain that not all of you have seen this movie because lets face it the novel was very boring so why sit through the movie too right? However. I’m certain there has been a point in your life where you watched a movie adapted from a book. My question for you this week is, what was the movie/book and what annoyed you the most about it’s adaption to the big screen?

dumbledore

^^^mine

2 Comments on Grapes of Wrath

1. Lina Ruth
    November 5, 2015 at 4:56 pm (9 years ago)

My main complaint about books turned into movies, is that you aren’t able to have every detail from the book in the movie. Often, those details, while they aren’t essential to the plot, are important in the reader’s interpretation of the book. I understand they don’t have time, but it still detracts from the meaning.

2. Graham Pellegrino
    November 5, 2015 at 11:50 am (9 years ago)

I really liked the book version of The Grapes of Wrath and thought the movie did it a fair justice in quality. I will admit the book had its dry parts where I wanted to just give up on it, but I thought the story was interesting. Personally I agree with you on the Harry Potter movies, the books had so much more detail that the movies did not include. My all time personal annoyance of book to movie is Eragon. A book about dragons and a mystical world that got crazy good reviews turned out to be a terrible movie that I hated because it skipped and changed so many things.