Final Thoughts

All good things must come to an end. The semester is coming to a close, finals are here, and the last assignments are due. Now class is over, I want to share my thoughts about my class experiences: What I liked, and what I think can be better.

For one, I think we could have spent more time learning how to use Unity. Never mind that I think we shouldn’t have been introduced to Unity at all because I think it’s confusing and if you want to change something, sometimes you have to rewrite a lot of code to make it work. I made the mistake of using it in lieu of a program I was more familiar with (GameMaker) for the Final Team Project. But if you are going to keep using it, please spend more time instructing with it. Like, two week’s worth of lessons on the subject. I felt like this class was less practical and more theory in terms of lessons right up until the individual and team projects.

I, and my team, also didn’t totally get the Team Information Documents. That’s something we’ve never done before, weren’t given instruction on how it should look in class, and given the online rubric, I thought we did fine. But we got a pitiful grade on it, and I don’t understand why.

Finally, I really don’t get why we needed our Individual Prototypes to work on Macintoshes, or to upload it online. I mean, it would be just 10 times easier to publish it to Windows as an executable. Which is what I did, since I had no other choice. I spent a 2 good days on that project and got a big fat zero as a reward. Thanks.

But there is much to like about this course. I liked the team building activites, like the Tic-Tac-Toe thing. I liked the lectures and the readings; I always thought they were engaging. I thought the Quizzes were generally fair (except for that one question about the most used platform. Coffee Tables? Really?). I liked the professors, even. Professors Stubbs and Pursel are very passionate about what they teach.

So, those are my closing thoughts. What do you think?

And to the Professors: I know this post may seem very gripey, but don’t take these criticisms personally. I am only trying to be constructive. I liked this class. and I think it could be better.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Final Thoughts

1. Chris Stubbs says:

I don’t think we view your post as “gripey” at all Reese – its your honest feedback on the course and we appreciate you sharing your thoughts. You express some ideas that were also shared in class (and I would expect to be shared through the course survey) and it gives Bart and I a lot to talk about as we prepare for the next time this course is offered. Thanks again for sharing and best of luck in your next adventure!