Korean Chicken (치킨)

20141030211431_6S2zL9Hq_35a337d1d2404366b747a5ac8604be21Today, I’m going to talk about the difference between Korean Chicken and Wings in the States. Koreans usually call it Chicken but it seems that people here call it Wings. Anyhow, there is a HUGE difference between those two. That’s why me and my Korean friends here often say that we want Korean Chicken so bad. It may be that all the companies use the same type of chicken, the taste of the finalised plate will be totally different.

baked-chicken-wings-how-to_03

The first big difference is that Korean Chicken has a layer of batter but the Wings here don’t. As you can see in the picture, the one of the left has a thick layer of batter while the picture on the right doesn’t. Also, Korean chicken companies tend to use the leg parts of the chicken but it seems to me that the wings places here tend to mix both the wing and leg parts of the chicken.

1270992336_32Secondly, chicken places in Korea has simply two different flavors. There is the one where there is no sauce and there’s the one with the spicy sauce. However, Wings Over here has more than 12 different flavors that you can choose from. I personally think that the flavors here are much more better than the ones in Korea. My favorite ones are Honey Mustard and Sweet Chili!

008Last but not least, the final difference between these two are the sauces that comes with the chicken. Here, people usually choose from blue cheese or ranch but in Korea we usually choose from mustard or this sweet-spicy sauce. Also, the best part of ordering chicken/wings is the radish that comes with it! As you see on the right, Koreans enjoy eating squarely cut radishes with chicken. Also, in Korea the chicken is delivered in a box.f0056296_50cde5af3592d

1 Comment

1. tsb5256

From the pictures and your descriptions, I think that Korean wings would taste better than the wings here. Honestly, when you fry chicken, it just tastes better! You need to let me know about a good (preferably not too expensive) Korean restaurant in State college.