Paradigm Shift Ideas!

One of my topic ideas for the paradigm shift essay would be to analyze the shift in the sexualizing of people and objects in the media. Specifically I would look to ads in the past of objects and find an ad of the same object in recent history and analyze the difference in the way companies advertise this product. Many advertisements in today’s world sexualize objects such as food to make them more appealing to consumers. In the past, advertisements focused on characteristics of the product itself, and we seem to be slipping away from that as time goes on. Instead of focusing on the specific products, they hide them behind theses sexual ideas that really have nothing to do with the product itself.
Another topic idea would be to analyze a shift in music over the years. I could either focus on the description of women in today’s music as opposed to the way music describes women in the past. For example, women are the focus of many songs but in a negative way as either sex objects or a prize for men to fight for or win. And when female singers have songs, many are focused on trying to gain the attention of a specific guy or sell themselves as less than human beings. Or I could analyze the specific genres such as jazz, rock and roll, hip hop, pop, and rap and how/why these have been so popular in their specific time generations.

One thought on “Paradigm Shift Ideas!

1. I really like both of these ideas! I think that by comparing ads for the same product, (one now and one in the past), you could really isolate the changing characteristics of advertisements. There are a lot of different angles you could approach it from, so you might want to narrow it down to a few specific ways ads are changing (for example, you mentioned sexual ideas behind products).
    The second idea is also interesting. There is certainly plenty of evidence that women are sexualized in today’s music. If you choose to analyze the different genres of music in different generations, you could try to connect the values expressed in each genre to the values of people in that time period.