Defining Culture

Merriam- Webster’s Dictionary defines culture as “the customary beliefs, social forms and material traits of a racial, religious or social group.” In today’s society, the idea of culture presents itself in many different forms. If I describe myself in keeping with Merriam-Webster’s definition, I am simply a white, Catholic, college student. However, I do not think that the definition of culture presented in the dictionary is capable of providing an accurate description of the multi-faceted personalities of human beings. I, like every other human, am much more than the labels that society places on me. As a person, I am more than my race or my religion. I am more than the social group with which I am affiliated. On the outside, I am a white, Catholic student attending Penn State University; this cannot be denied. However, if one chooses to delve deeper into my culture than my physical appearance, they will find that I am an artist, a sister, a daughter, an aspiring politician and so many other things. Are these descriptions not social groups that I can attribute to my culture along with the elements that are evident based on my appearance? In my opinion, society has trapped me in a box. I am tattooed with the stereotypes assigned to blonde, white females. Permanently marked by my appearance, I assume that I will have difficulty breaking free. If I ever achieve my goal of running for political office, I question whether my peers will judge me based on my political ability or my gender. To conclude, I believe that the commonplace definition of culture is flawed. In my opinion, there is not one definition that truly embodies culture because there is not one definition that can embody the human race.