Accentuating the Positive

What an incredible video this was.  My reaction?  It mirrors the work we are doing at my company with high potential programs.  The program I have been part of specifically includes 4, 6 month rotations anywhere in the world, in any one of our business units.  Rotations are selected based on our assessment of apprentices development needs. The messaging can be a challenge as apprentices have an agenda.  We our challenged with guiding them through learning about themselves, how they react in certain situations, how they show up and we give them tools to help them manage themselves.  We provide an executive coach that the can basically share anything with confidentially.  And we provide them many stretch opportunities to grow, learn and demonstrate they are putting into action what we are teaching them.

What we don’t offer is a physical fitness component but ironically, most of our apprentices are high achievers and have personal commitments to fitness.  It is amazing how many marathon runners I have met in our classes. It also amazes me that if you think about the military, they embrace the running and yoga to help balance the stress.  That’s what really struck me is not only the positive, the resilience, but tools to manage stress and find balance.

The growth in Louie and Eve was tremendous.  It brought a tear to my eye to see Louie achieve the top 10.  It made me reflect personally on my choices and how I might reset the button in certain areas.  The one disappointment for me was Kathy Ann.  I wish someone spoke to her parents.  She would have gained so much from the opportunity and her insecurity will probably, unfortunately, rule her and the outcome of what she is able to accomplish.

I loved the experiment and if Timbertop was near my home, I would consider for my daughter. I’d have trouble letting her go at 14 but if you think about the environment, the skills, and the gift you are giving your child, it may be worth it.  Isn’t that what we as parents strive to do?  Give our children the best education, the best opportunity, and the tools to deal with life.

2 thoughts on “Accentuating the Positive

1. Nicole D

Jackie I like how you shared how this video reminded you of what you’re doing in your company. Which by the way I find very interesting. It sounds like I need to hire someone from your company 🙂 I also thought it very interesting how you tied your clients mindsets (determination/goal setting) to physical activity (marathon runners/fitness advocates) I never really thought about it that way before! Thanks for sharing!

2. tvm5397

I agree, Jackie. Positive psychology in schools should be more of the norm. Some of the techniques used were a bit extreme for “public” school but there is definitely much to learn from this video. I wish the link was out on YouTube. I would recommend it to my children’s principals.