RSS Feed

Week 4: Solid Shampoo Bars

September 26, 2013 by Jayme Renee Rhoads   

Hello!

By now, you must all know my extreme love for LUSH because of their great smelling and effective products. But there is another side to LUSH that is even more appealing than that; ingenuity! Many of the products are so unique in their function and design. Such as the toothy tabs that I talked about last week. But this week, I want to share my love for their amazing shampoo- solid shampoo bars!

Shampoo-Bars-Group-not-stacked

Solid Shampoo Bars

It may seem crazy that these colorful hockey-puck-like discs can be effective hair care, but I find that they work better than regular liquid shampoo and are healthier for your hair too. These discs do not contain any preservatives, since they do not have liquid in them. Because of the nature of this bar, it does not require any packaging whatsoever. It was even voted in 2008 as the winner of The Best Green Packaging Award; there’s no greener packaging than none at all! Another improvement over regular shampoo- they are easier for travelling. There is no worry about them leaking (since there is no water content) and they are much lighter to carry with you. LUSH sells wonderful tins that perfectly fit the shampoo bars, which makes it the easiest way to travel with them.

LUSH shampoo bar tin.

LUSH shampoo bar tin.

One thing that I especially love about these bars is that they last way longer than any liquid shampoo. Since there is no liquid content, they are extremely concentrated. I am not lying when I say that on average these shampoo bars last me around 7 to 8 months. And they do not lose their effectiveness at all! So not only does that make your money stretch out for a longer time, but it also eliminates the amount of shampoo bottles that one would throw out in a year’s time. I used to use a bottle of shampoo every month, so this is a definite improvement in my life.

I personally have tried five of the shampoo bars. In order of when I tried them: Squeaky Green, Jumping Juniper, NEW!, Godiva and Seanik. I just love LUSH product names. Squeaky Green is the green one that smells really earthy in a very nice way. It is fresh, and really does its job well. There are nettles in the bar, that seem like they might be an issue, but they never were. My boyfriend got this bar  (without any prompting from me)  while we were at a LUSH in Atlantic City. Ever since, he uses it every other day (only using his conditioner on the other days). His hair always smells fresh and nice! He tells me that “It doesn’t leave my hair feeling dry, it feels nourished and soft. It’s very effective, and fun too! Although, using this at the dorm is a little difficult, these bars can disintegrate if left in water, and need to be left on a soap dish to dry. It’s much easier if you can live at home and use it.”

Squeaky Green that I bought in Montreal.

Jumping Juniper is a lovely lavender bar. It is meant more for oily hair (my hair is normal), but I loved the smell of it so much that I just had to try it. It is a very soft herbal scent. This bar really does bring out the shine in one’s hair, and it is a very effective cleanser.

Jumping Juniper from Montreal.

Jumping Juniper from Montreal.

NEW! is bright red and smells of rich cinnamon, and the smell only gets better as you lather it onto your hair! If you don’t like cinnamon, I would stay away from this bar because it is strong. It reminds me of Christmas, and I love how the smell just swarms around my bathroom when I use it. (It is a perfect pair with the American Cream conditioner from LUSH.) NEW! is meant to stimulate hair growth with the cinnamon and clove put into it, I don’t know if it did that for me, because I can’t really tell, but my hair was definitely strong and soft.

NEW! bar in LUSH tin.

NEW! bar in LUSH tin.

Godiva is a cool one because it  has conditioning butters in it, making it a 2-in-1 bar. I personally am not fond of 2-in-1 hair care, but the idea was still cool. The smell is a very strong-jasmine, and I am not a huge strong-jasmine lover so unfortunately this was not my favorite shampoo bar. I’m sure other people who like the smell of jasmine (such as my mother) really like this bar!

Godiva

Godiva

Then there is Seanik. Oh this is the perfect solid shampoo bar for my hair. I wanted it because it smells just like the mimosa and soft jasmine shower scrub Rub, Rub, Rub from LUSH. So I grabbed it because I loved the smell, but I keep buying it because it works so well with my hair! Every time I use it, my hair feels so clean and fresh. I go without styling my hair now because of this bar. It really creates natural waves in my hair and brings out my color because it is so nourishing with Irish moss seaweed and Japanese nori seaweed. I love this bar, and it lasts so long! I bought my current bar all the way back in February, and I still have another week or two left of use from it. I use it every day with LUSH’s Veganese conditioner, and the smells go really well together. No other shampoo makes my hair feel as good as this one does.

Seanik in tin.

Seanik in tin.

A little note for to make shampoo bars last longer: You must keep them out of water when not in use. They disintegrate very quickly if left in water, so I always keep mine in a soap dish away from water. Letting them drain and dry is key to making them last a really long time.

Another great thing is that they lather up really, really well! They create huge amounts of lather with only very little product, which makes them effective and long-lasting. I absolutely love these bars, and I highly recommend at least trying them out!

Au revoir!

Jayme Renee

8 Comments »

1. Jayme Renee Rhoads says:

The cost of each bar is around 11 to 12 dollars, depending on which kind you choose. The price may seem steep, but I find that it is definitely worth the cost. 🙂

2. Khushboo Attarwala says:

I have never used LUSH, but this seems so interesting. Their products look really cool and I will definitely look into purchasing them.

3. Jennifer says:

This is so cool! I can see why it would be easier to use at home, but the concept of having a very concentrated amount that lasts a really long time is awesome. How much do these cost??

4. Brittany Ayers says:

Yet again, you have left me wanting to purchase a LUSH product! I would have never thought of using a bar for shampoo! I love how eco-friendly it is. I will definitely have to get some!

5. Alyssa San Jose says:

I think Im definitely going to try these out!!

6. Mary Taylor says:

This really does sound great, and there innovation in their products is actually pretty cool, it attracts customers and its good for the environment.

7. Helen Tang says:

This stuff looks wild. Your blog posts are seriously making me want to try these out, haha! Maybe you should consider advertising for a cosmetics company!

8. Jack DiMidio says:

Great writing Jayme! Seems like a lot of fun!

You must be logged in to post a comment.