Queen Elizabeth I of England

Today I’m going to write about Elizabeth I, the Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.  She ruled from November 17th, 1558 until her death on March 24th, 1603.  Elizabeth I was also known as The Virgin Queen, Gloriana, and Good Queen Bess.  The period during her reign is known as the Elizabethan era, and is known for the many successful adventures of Sir Francis Drake.  It was also famous for the growth in popularity of theatre led by William Shakespeare.  She is known for being a charismatic performer and a survivor during a time in which the government was not very strong or powerful and when many other monarchs in other countries were faced with numerous internal problems that were jeopardizing their thrones.

Elizabeth I was born at Greenwich Palace to Henry VIII of England and Anne Boleyn. At the moment she was born, Elizabeth I was the heiress presumptive to the throne of England.  However, she lost her place in the line of royal succession after her mother was executed as a means to allow Henry IV to remarry to try to produce a male heir.  Elizabeth I was well educated and was fluent in multiple languages.  By the time she had completed her formal education, it was widely accepted that she was one of the best educated women in her generation.

Elizabeth’s father, King Henry VIII, died in 1547 and after a series of successors with short reigns, her half-sister, Mary I, was declared queen.  Mary was extremely unpopular due to her religious beliefs, while Elizabeth was seen as a sign of hope for their future leader when Mary’s reign ended.  Because of this, Mary tried to find a way to put Elizabeth on trial and have her killed.  However, Mary decided against it and after her death in 1558, Elizabeth was named Queen.  Although Elizabeth was a Protestant, she chose to be much more tolerant of Catholics and did not persecute anyone based on their religion, contrary to her sister’s actions for which she gained the nickname “Bloody Mary”.  In addition, Elizabeth chose not to marry and became quite famous for it.

By the end of her reign, she was praised as the head of the Protestant cause and the leader of a golden age.  She gained an inflated image and reputation as a leader during a time of factionalism and military and economical difficulties.  Her reign was praised for its unity in crown, church, and parliament, and had a lasting influence.  She is famous for the defeat against the Spanish Armada and other successful raids against Spain.  She succeeded in Ireland, and she was often idealized by leading people as someone who always made the right decisions.

I included Elizabeth I because I admire how she handled the obstacles she had to overcome as one of the first Queens of England and her desire to give people second chances.  In a time when most women in line would have picked a husband to help them rule, Elizabeth was her own authority.  In a time when others would have had someone executed, particularly when that person was a threat to their rule, Elizabeth allowed them to live, as in the case of Mary Queen of Scots who she imprisoned in a large castle with her own personal staff.  She also allowed people to worship in whichever religion they wished, which was uncommon at that time.  Elizabeth I was widely respected by her subjects and had a lasting influence on England.

One thought on “Queen Elizabeth I of England

1. I sort of feel like I just went through Honors Government or AP World History again (but in a good way). I learned about Queen Elizabeth, but it was nice to have a refresher. I think that she is a great example of how the women in this bridge are expected to be. We should want to be well-rounded and open-minded when it comes to other traditions. Also, we should want to be independent and get our own education. This post just gave me inspiration and makes me want to work so much harder.