A View About Language

Words have such a high power over us. We use words in different languages as well and perceive that language differently than others. We exchange language through listening, speaking, interpreting and writing. When a language is spoken, everyone interprets it differently. The meaning of those words don’t necessarily mean what we think it means. “Meanings” of words are different for every individual who engages in communicative exchange. When an exchange student comes to America and tries their best to speak our language, his or her interpretation of English is much different than our interpretation of music. As an international student, I was able to understand the struggle of that because my English was different from someone who lived in the Middle East. When a listener cannot understand the speaker, the listener risks not understanding what the speaker is saying, but interprets something completely different.

Language enables us to mislead and misinform someone who interprets something completely different. Our perception of language is different from someone who never learned a specific language. In countries like India and Ghana, English is not an easy language to learn especially at an older age. When we are young, we are prone to adjust to specific languages. For example, I moved to America when I was three years old and I didn’t know one bit of English when I got here. My preschool kept me after school to teach me how to read, write and speak English where I grasped very easily. Now if the same thing happened to my eldest cousin in India who is 27 years old, he would not be able to adjust to English so easily because he grew up with our mother tongue, Marathi. The ability to differentiate languages is hard which is why it misleads and there is a miscommunication between the listener and the speaker.

In the movie V For Vendetta, not many people are able to understand what V is saying in the movie. The youtube video below tells us something different. It is a literal translation of V is saying. If you have ever watched V For Vendetta, V’s language is completely different from how we interpret it and how the character interprets his roll.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXEIwEc1dxY

According to our thisisnotthat article, the appropriate language behavior is that we are prone to integrate what happens outside of our skin with the way we process language internally. We interpret and think about whats happening within our nervous system. The way we misinterpret language is through the struggle of understanding ourselves and others. We forget to ignore the simple facts and try our best to interpret something more complex. The structure of our language, which is our map, should be similar to the structure we in the non verbal cues, which is our territory.