Passion Blog 6- Helpful Tips to Get Yourself Into the Gym

We have all been there- the days where we just never want to leave our bed and cuddle up with Netflix and a bag of chips. I have especially experienced this on cold, winter days, where I just had no motivation to leave my nice, warm room to walk over to the gym. I would always tell myself “You are gonna workout today” then ended up in my pajamas with my favorite show on. Then there are the days where I am extremely motivated to go to the gym but either have no free time in the day, or even am so overwhelmed by classes where, once again, all I want to do is sleep. Even after deciding I would not go to the gym that day, I immediately regret it but can’t find any reason to change my mind. Here are some helpful tips that I use when I am completely unmotivated that have worked for me.

1. Find a gym partner.

Getting a daily “Gym grind!!!” text from my friend is what helps me to get off of my lazy butt and go to the gym. We usually meet halfway, which makes the walk there seem a little less long and constant talking while walking there keeps my mind off of thinking how cold it is outside. Lately, I have been the one texting my friend that it’s time to grind, instead of them forcing me to come. It’s a lot more fun to go with a partner and hearing their words of motivation to push through makes the workout seem less strenuous.

2. Have a goal in mind.

Goals are what help push people to their limits. No one likes to let others down, but what is worse, is letting yourself down. Your goal could be as simple as “lose five pounds” but it can still motivate you to keep going and keep doing the best workouts possible. For myself, I never began with a goal in mind. It was not until I began to see progress that I thought of what goals I wanted to accomplish. Another great thing about goals is that your are intending yourself to places you never thought you could get to! Not only do you feel great about yourself once you reach your goal or even go beyond your goal, but you see the progress you have made and that will motivate you in itself.

3. Track your progress.

The number one motivator for me is seeing progress. The more progress that I notice, the more I genuinely want to go to the game each day. I have began to set new goals for each day that I go. Nothing kills motivation more than going to the gym daily but feeling as though you have made no new progress. Chances are, you have made progress, but you have not been paying close enough attention to what you have done. There are multiple apps that you can use to track your progress, such as Fitbit and MyFitnessPal. You may not see the progress right away, but it is happening.

4. Positive Thinking

This tip is possibly the most helpful motivator when debating on whether to workout or not. Thinking of how great you’ll feel after you workout is an example of positive thinking. The more you think about how great you will feel, the more motivated you will be to go. If you’re like me and like being sore (because it means you were working), then thinking about having “jello legs” after leg day can be another positive motivator. Even thinking about making an ex-boyfriend/girlfriend feel bad once they see how great you look is an example of positive thinking. Personally, my positive thinking consists of how much better I will be with Dance the more I cross train. Since I can’t practice at school, cross training is my only form of “practice”. I keep thinking of the World Championships or the National Championships coming up, which helps me to get out of bed and work out.

No one actually enjoys working out, but everyone enjoys progress and feeling good about yourself. The toughest thing about working out is finding that last push to get you to do it. Motivation is key in any workout, whether it be to make yourself feel good, make an ex jealous of how great you look, or wanting to reach new goals.

One thought on “Passion Blog 6- Helpful Tips to Get Yourself Into the Gym”

1. Hi Kathryn,
    I was able to relate to your blog on a personal level because as much as I try to get myself to the gym, I always tell myself, “I don’t have time, I should be studying,” or, “Do I really want to walk ‘all the way’ (it’s really not far at all considering I live in simmons and the white building is right near me) to the gym when it’s 20 degrees outside?” And, even when I do try to plan the day before to go to the gym tomorrow at a certain time, something always manages to get in the way. I think finding a gym partner is crucial in making sure you actually get yourself to the gym. For example, my roommate and I try to go together – so on days when I wasn’t planning on going, but she gets ready to go, then I feel the need to go. Goals are also crucial – not just in going to the gym, but in everything you do – studying for a test, etc. I tell myself everyday I go to the gym I’ll run on the treadmill for longer, or something that gives me a reason to stay at the gym longer than the day before – even if it’s only for 5 minutes more.