Halo Reach: Favorite Concept

Halo Reach: Bungie Studios

Halo Reach: Bungie Studios

Favorite concept:

I always get excited for a new halo game, and Halo Reach was no exemption to that when it released in 2010. Most of  the time, when a new game is about to be released, the game developer will post concept art in order to prepare for the games launch. To the left is a piece of concept art that was released just before the launch of Halo Reach. This one is a favorite of mine not only because it’s down right awesome, but also because, like all good art, it has a story driven purpose.

This painting depicts the hopeless struggle humanity faces in the fight against the Covenant (a number of alien species united under a religious hierarchy). An Elite holds his sword, readying to plunge it deep into the human spartan. There’s a strong sense of struggle as the spartan fights desperately to fend off this formidable foe, but it hope is lost. At this instant, the spartan is facing death, and try as he might, escape is impossible. Fear sets in, and the spartan can do nothing but watch. The great thing about this concept is the parallel it strikes with the main theme of the game. The planet is facing an alien invasion, and though humanity struggles fiercely, there is no hope. The planet will be lost, and with it, every life.

Most have probably guessed already, I am a complete halo fanatic; to the point were some might call it a problem (but lets face it, deep down, they wish they could love halo too… but probably not). Maybe it is a problem, but honestly, what makes me such a huge fan of the franchise is the depth of the story telling and the devotion each game developer has toward the series. This piece is a great example of that.

This entry was posted in The Art of Gaming. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Halo Reach: Favorite Concept

1. Joshua Lien says:

I like FPS games that have a back story to it instead of games with only a bunch of mindless shooting left and right. I remember playing the first Halo game for PC and enjoyed it.

2. Igor Figueira says:

Story telling is always a major part to any game. I mean look at Pokemon. It has the most simplistic storyline of all, yet people love it. Halo has a more complicated plot, but it keeps the player submerged and interested.