Passion Blog 9: Life in Color

One of my favorite electronic dance music events that I have attended is Life in Color. Life in Color is a world-touring concert series unlike any other. It refers to itself as “the world’s largest paint party” and it is just that. Formerly known as Dayglow, Life in Color hosts massive electronic music concerts in major cities all around thLIC-Picture1-SFX-Website1-1024x552e world with top-charting DJs playing alongside professional dancers and contortionists in a high-energy, neon crowd.
The idea behind Life in Color is that our bodies are a blank canvas just waiting to be filled and expressed. Everyone that goes to the concert is encouraged to wear white as a representation of a blank canvas, soon to be filled with color. The concerts usually feature three or more DJs, with a countdown till paint blast projected on the screen. When the count down reaches zero, the crowd goes crazy and neon paint is blasted into the crowd from every direction, raining down on all the concertgoers. From that point on, the paint is continuously sprayed onto the audience from the stage to the beat of the music. By the end of the night, attendees are dripping in paint.

I have attended a Life in Color show in Philadelphia twice: once in 2014, and again in 2015. In 2014, the DJs that performed were TJR, Nervo, and Quintino. That was first time at any event like this, so it was not something that I was used to. It was extremely crowded to the point where I was touching everyone around me and it was also very cold outside. My friends and I made our way to the front row in time for the initial paint blast and we got drenched in paint. Immediately I was soaked, cold, and rubbing against other wet attendees covered in paint. This does not sound like very much fun, but as the night went on I got used to it and embraced the paint as it rained down on me. The next year, in 2015, my friends and I decided we wanted to go again. The performers were David Solano, Jauz, and Steve Aoki. I knew what to expect going into it this time, so I was more prepared. I wore sunglasses to prevent paint from going into my eyes (a major problem) and I put my phone in a bag so that it did not get wet with paint. Life in Color 2015 was a lot more fun in my opinion because I was more prepared and I liked these DJs better.

life_in_color_miami_diplo_r3hab_benny_benassiI would not recommend this event for everyone. To enjoy this concert, you must really like electronic dance music and not mind massive, somewhat aggressive crowds. Also, if the idea of getting blasted with paint doesn’t appeal to you, you probably should not go to Life in Color because it is unavoidable. By the time I got home from the concert, the paint had dried and my hair was extremely stiff and my skin was multicolored. Life in Color is an event like no other and that is what keeps me coming back every time the show is in my area. Where else can you dance to your favorite music with thousands of other fans while getting covered in neon paint?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_in_Color

5 Comments on Passion Blog 9: Life in Color

1. jjf5556
    November 13, 2015 at 4:21 pm (8 years ago)

Ive always wanted to go to life in color but still haven’t gotten the chance too!!! It would be a great experience and i really hope sometime i can go!!!

2. pal5205
    November 13, 2015 at 4:02 pm (8 years ago)

this thing is awesome. I loved it. The best part about it was I was asked to go months in advance and said no. Then the day of these kids at my school couldn’t go anymore so they gave me their tickets for free. Awesome experience.

3. Abby Seeley
    November 13, 2015 at 4:01 pm (8 years ago)

Life in Color is a really fun concert but you definitely have to be prepared for it! I don’t know if I would do it again it’s more of those once and done experiences for me but it was fun for sure!

4. Eddy
    November 13, 2015 at 3:53 pm (8 years ago)

I’ve attended orchestral concerts but never ones like this. It seems to generate quite the atmosphere, with everyone being excited about the music. Despite that, I probably would never be able to handle the screaming and crowd. I do enjoy electronic music though. It seems you had a great time.

5. Tatiana Rotger
    November 13, 2015 at 3:51 pm (8 years ago)

I attended this music festival when it was Dayglow and Life in Color. I agree with you; it is so fun.