Go Go Giraffe!

This weeks animal is one that I hold near and dear to my heart. I don’t really know why, but I love giraffes. They are definitely one of my personal favorite animals, and if they aren’t one of yours, they will be soon!

A giraffe typically lives for about 15-20 years, and they only naturally inhabit portions of southern Africa, in savannah regions. Giraffes have always been intriguing because of their unique body build. In fact, they were originally described as a cross between a camel and a leopard (their species name is actually Camelopardalis). Their spots are also a unique feature of the giraffe. No two giraffes have the same spots, and for this reason, the spots have been likened to a human fingerprint.

Apart from the spots, giraffes are BIG. They are certainly hard to ignore in any setting, with their six foot necks and six foot legs. Even at birth, a giraffe can be as tall as six feet and weigh up to 150 pounds (which explains the giraffe’s 14-month gestation period). At maturity, the neck of a giraffe weighs about 600 pounds, which comes in handy for sparring in the giraffe’s natural environment – male giraffes will whip their necks against each other and as they age, calcium deposits develop to strengthen a giraffe’s head and neck.

Their height also helps them to reach young leaves on the top of trees, which is important in a savannah setting where ground foliage is limited. Giraffes eat about 75 pounds a day, so it’s important they have ample access to foliage. If you’ve never watch a giraffe chew, here’s a link! They eat for most of the day since it takes them so long to chew. Giraffes are ruminants (like cows), so they chew their food several different times before digesting it.

Giraffe’s only predators (besides human poachers) are lions and crocodiles, but they swiftly fight off enemies with strong kicks. Nevertheless, giraffes remain in large packs (their spots make it hard to separate one animal), taking turns looking out for one another.

Hopefully this has made you appreciate the giraffe in all of its glory!

http://animals.sandiegozoo.org/animals/giraffe

8 responses to “Go Go Giraffe!