Dean’s News

By Barbara I. Dewey

I learned this week that we have approximately 16,000 Penn State freshmen (8,000 at University Park and 8,000 at the Commonwealth Campuses) which is about 700 more than last fall. I am sure you have met many of them in our libraries and on our campuses.

Posted on the Dean’s intranet page (https://www.libraries.psu.edu/psul/admin/intranet.html) under the heading of Assessment-Related Topics is the excellent report “Moving Forward: Envisioning Instructional Services for the Future“ completed by our first cohort of Library Leaders – Anne Behler, Ellysa Cahoy, John Meier, John Shank. Congratulations to them for their fine work and for completing the program. I hope you saw the call for interest for our next Penn State Library Leaders cohort.

Loanne Snavely reported (from work done by Alan Shay) that Penn State was the top University Library (for the past two years) and the 2nd in the last several years in teaching and outreach efforts among ARL libraries as per the ARL Instruction Statistics. We Are!! Thank you to everyone who made this outstanding statistic possible. Our students and faculty are very lucky to have this extensive and valuable teaching expertise in their Penn State Libraries.

I hope you will save the date, October 2, 2013, 2-3 p.m. for the first Dean’s Forum of the year in Foster Auditorium and on Mediasite Live. The agenda will be on our strategic planning and space planning work. Let me or Sandy know if there are other items you would like to hear about or if you have good news I can share in the Kudos section.