Dean’s News

By Barbara I. Dewey

We had a very successful Promotion & Tenure Reception on Oct. 23 with close to 100 newly tenured and promoted faculty attending from a wide variety of departments and campuses. Our “new” class in the Libraries is large and outstanding including Anne Behler, Emily Rimland, Russ Hall, John Meier, Heidi Abbey, Matt Ciszek, Karla Schmit, (all tenured and promoted to associate librarian) Cynthia Robinson (tenured), and John Shank (promoted to full rank). President Erickson and I were very excited to honor them along with the other guests at a lovely reception in Paterno Reading Room last week.

We also hosted the Commissions’ (CFW, CORED, and CLGBTE) Promotion & Tenure Symposium on Oct. 25 in Foster Auditorium “Equity and Inclusion: Successfully Navigating the Promotion and Tenure Process.” The P & T Symposium provides Penn State faculty with support and useful information for their Penn State journey. Participants in the symposium included Dr. Terrell Jones, Provost Nick Jones, Diane Zabel (a panelist on publishing), and a host of faculty discussing important aspects of promotion and tenure at Penn State.

I continue to be excited about our new Provost, Dr. Nick Jones. I hope many of you will stop by the Open House at the Nittany Lion Inn to meet him on Wednesday, Oct. 30, from 3-5 p.m.. He is very enthusiastic about the Libraries.