Why we do service?

For the last two weekends fifteen girls of Gamma Sigma Sigma were given the opportunity to go to a horse farm for therapuetic riding training. At first we really didn’t know what we were going to be doing. The opportunity had actually only been arranged because one member is completely obsessed with horses! Once we were there, I know all the girls were happy that one member had been so obsessive.

Our girls were given a chance to learn about therapuetic riding and practice some techniques of guiding the horse with a young girl (who was an amazing rider for being about 5 years old). Although the therapuetic riding program hasn’t actually started yet, I know this experience learning how to help with the program really reminded all of our girls about why service is so important. While being able to walk along a child on horseback or babysit a child’s siblings seems really simple and unimportant, we all were able to see that these positions were necessary to create the amazing experience for the children. I didn’t expect while being trained to realize that, while this service is targeted towards giving the children a great experience to ride horses, it is also a chance for all of our members to relate to families and get to play a lot of fun games with these families. I know for the members of GSS this was a reminder that some of the best service opportunities don’t really feel like service at the time and give just as much back to the volunteers as anyone else.