Why I serve: APO

*** taken from APO website*** please see the original APO’s blopost and consider doing a similar activity in your own organization.  Great work, APO on leading a reflection activity!

Why We Serve
By Abby Johnson and Christian Howard

During last week’s meeting, we took a quick break from updates and official business to reflect on why we come together each week as a brotherhood. We asked ourselves the question, “Why do I serve?” Here are a few brothers’ responses:

“Helping others not only improves others’ lives, but also our own and helps to fulfill our purpose on earth. ♥”

“I serve to pay back what the community/people have given me.”

“I serve because it’s the most rewarding thing I’ve ever done. It’s something I can do that is solely beneficial outside of myself; the goal is to help others.”

“Why do I serve?

1.  I like helping people.

2.   The people I meet are cool.

3.  Memories.”

“I serve because it make me feel better as a person to help others in need. I serve to get closer to my brothers. I serve to make myself a better person.”

“I serve to help those who need it most and to give back to the community any extra little thing that I can. One little thing can make a huge difference, and some aren’t as fortunate as I am.”

“I serve because it feels good to help out others, and I like making a difference.”

“I serve because of how much I have been given and blessed with in my life. Everyone has obstacles to overcome and no one doesn’t appreciate a little help in life sometimes. I serve to help out anyone I can. I serve to give back to the world that’s given to me. I serve to do my part in this life. I serve because I love people, and everyone deserves to feel the love.”

“Reasons I Serve:

1.   It builds character.

2.    It brings people together.

3.   It feels good!

4.   It requires selfless initiative.”

“I serve because I love helping people; it makes me happy. And there are many people in this world that are less fortunate than me, so I feel like it is my job to help.”

“I serve to help others help themselves. I serve to build character and leadership. I serve to make others smile and to brighten someone’s day.”

“I serve because I like helping people. And it’s fun.”

“I serve to better the community and motivate others to do the same.”

“I serve because I enjoy helping others. I feel accomplished that I took the time to do something for others. It’s important to not always think about yourself. Serve! It’s good for the soul. J