The Sizzler’s Commercial

Click here to enjoy the commercial in question.

Wow. Where do I even begin. This Sizzler’s commercial from 1991 is possibly the most patriotic thing I’ve seen since the 4th of July. Which is exactly what they were going for to draw customers in. By creating a kairotic moment for themselves and appealing to values that every true American holds near and dear to their hearts, Sizzler’s created a rhetorically effective (if not long and slightly hilarious) commercial to bring in business.

Sizzler’s kicked off the commercial by creating a kairotic moment for bringing people into their restaurant. They did this by bringing up the “quiet revolution” taking place in America: both parents were working, and also raising families. So obviously, families needed somewhere convenient to go, where they could get good, wholesome American cooking the whole family would love for a reasonable price. And of course, that’s where Sizzler’s steps in!

Another thing about the commercial that can’t be ignored is the sheer American-ness of it. The song and voice-over alike mention the choices Sizzler’s offers every chance they can get, along with the fact that you have the freedom to choose, like a true American. A lot of Americans jump at every chance they get to exercise their rights, so going to Sizzler’s would just be the natural thing to do. Also, people in general tend to like customizing everything to make it exactly what they want, so Sizzler’s plethora of choices appeals to them as well.

The imagery of the commercial is also impossible to ignore. In this commercial, we are treated to 5 minutes of wholesome, happy, American imagery, from a little girl playing baseball to a sailor and his girlfriend enjoying a sunset. And you can’t forget the happy joggers, the old sailor, and the man and girl horsing around on a ranch. All these good, wholesome American people are just the type who would eat at Sizzler’s, where they’ll be able to choose just what they want from all the choices.

And the smiling. Oh god, the smiling. The commercial has so many smiles, most of them over exaggerated and borderlining on creepy. The marketers at Sizzler’s wanted to make it clear that people who came and ate at Sizzler’s were happy. And who doesn’t want to be happy?

Now, as cheesy and cringy as this commercial was, I can honestly say that if I were on a road trip looking for somewhere to eat, and I saw a Sizzler’s, I might want to stop there. That may just be because the commercial made me giggle and made me happy, but hey, at least it worked. Unfortunately, it may have worked around 20 years too late, because Sizzler’s has been dying out due to competition like Chili’s and Outback. But, if nothing else, this patriotic commercial from 1991 certainly is an interesting piece of rhetoric.