Blog 3

In my searching I was extremely surprised to find out about Naomi and Ruth. The Book of Ruth is a Hebrew/old testament book. It is considered to be a religious or biblical book. The story about the two women is beautiful. Totally unaware to most, words that were exchanged from Ruth to Naomi are some of which are read in wedding ceremonies.

“Do not press me to leave you or turn back from following you! Where you go, I will go; where you lodge I will lodge; your people shall be my people, and your God my God. Where you die, I will die- there will I be buried. May the Lord do thus and so to me, and more as well, if even death parts me from you!’’ (Ruth1:16-17)

People in that time also recognized the women’s relationship. The people understood that above all the Naomi and Ruth loved each other.

This passage reminds me of Walt Whitman’s “we two boys together clinging”. To me it feels like it has the very same feeling and meaning behind the Naomi and Ruth from the book of Ruth. (Whitmanarchive)

I posted 2 photos of Ruth and Naomi because I found it so fascinating. I fell that when it comes to the issue that same-sex couples have a lot of time people who are religious are the ones ruffling the feathers. People only see it being condemned. This particular biblical reference is the total opposite. It provides positive support.

My question is, why are these passages not known about or shared among people who attend church? Why does it seem that there is more hate for same-sex relationships then love? The paintings of Naomi and Ruth are very gentle to the eye. They are not offensive and have a calming and loving feel to them.

Is there a way we can use this art to help encourage same-sex relationships in the religious communities? I know the actuality of this happening is slim to none but it would be worth the shot. If even it would be possible to change one person’s mind about same-sex relationships it would be worth it. How could we use this art to its best benefit?

www.myrainbowark.com/yjlm9.html

www.whitmanarchive.org/published/LG/1891/poems/45

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Blog 3

1. cph136 says:

I think this post is very interesting, but like we talked about during our week on Whitman, thinking about Ruth and Naomi as lesbians is historically anachronistic. No such categories existed back then, so, for some, it makes it difficult to use them as evidence that demonstrates Christianity’s historical acceptance of same-sex relationships. The story of Ruth and Naomi could be read as a story of devotion, and nothing more.

That’s not to say that I don’t like your reading, for I read the story of Ruth and Naomi in the same way. But I think we have to recognize and weigh both sides with specific attention the historical context to better understand what is going on in these stories.

2. yxl5340 says:

I like your description of the picture! And I agree with Armani that, in my opinion, religion is good to have for most of the time, but it is the worst thing when politics comes into the picture. If we observe history of the world, we would see that religion is a tool of brain-washing. Forgive me if you don’t like my opinion. If people on the top of the pyramid want to have strong control over people below him, the best tool he could use is religion. Rules make one become better but they make a bunch of people much more easier to predict and manipulate. That is why herds can be guarded by a dog but not a crowd of wolves. And religion depends largely on individual interpretation. One could always have his own understanding of verses in the bible. The reason why homosexuality is condemned by religion is mostly because of politics.

3. amb6228 says:

I think you brought up really great points about the intersections of religion and possessing a marginalized/stigmatized sexual identity. A LOT of people have issues with the two because a lot of churches condemn non-heterosexuality, and from my personal experience a lot of GSRM (Gender/Sexual/Romantic Minorities) individuals totally reject religion because of this. The way that I personally have dealt with this inconsistency between religion and my sexual orientation has been to create my own idea of what is right/wrong. I personally feel that I don’t need a set religion to tell me how to be a good person. I feel that as long as I try to be a good person without harming or deceiving others then whatever comes after death will be okay. I personally felt too overwhelmed by the intense hypocrisy to stay in the church, and I know a lot of queer folk feel the same.