First Semester Reflections

My first semester of college has been a unique learning experience. While I was first overwhelmed with the seemingly unending possibilities that such a large campus offers, I think that I have settled in and learned a lot in the process.

One of the major contributing factors to my success in RCL, and at Penn State in general, has been the multitude of relationships that I have formed with new friends and professors. This semester, I truly enjoyed learning from each one of my professors. Whenever I had questions about assignments, I knew that my professors would be more than willing to accommodate me and answer any of my questions. My classmates have also contributed to my success inside and outside of the classroom. No matter the class, I knew that I could turn to those around me for additional explanation and support.

One factor that has inhibited my success is the workload this semester. While I like my classes, the homework that has to be completed outside of class has been a challenge. I’ve found that when I have twenty things I need to do, I spend too much time stressing out about them rather than dividing my tasks into manageable pieces and not letting them overwhelm me.

Areas in which I have succeeded include organization, time management, and teamwork. Unlike my high school track record, I have not picked up the habit of losing important papers or forgetting about important assignments. I also feel like I learned how to work well and timely in a group setting. On the other hand, I have struggled with procrastination and stress management throughout the semester. Learning how to cope with the amount of work, my busy schedule, and the resulting stress has been a challenging process. Procrastination sometimes appears as the easy way out when really, it actually keeps me from doing my best work.

Overall, I have to learned how to stay organized, work well in teams, and keep track of my schedule during my first semester. In RCL specifically, I’ve gained a new mindset for analysis and critical thinking when it comes to rhetoric. While I still have a lot left to learn about translating my thoughts into a well-written, insightful essay, my RCL experience has greatly contributed to these skills and to my overall understanding of my civic duties.

My roommate and I at a Penn State football game!

2 Comments on First Semester Reflections

1. Priya Bose
    December 4, 2014 at 4:40 pm (9 years ago)

You have had to deal with the same issues that I have had to deal with this semester: time management and stress over the workload. Although these problems tend to reduce productivity, I have focused more on doing the assignments, and the stress pushes me to complete then on time. I have found a way to use the stress as my motivation for completing the work. Having a good social network is a good thing, as it provides a supportive team that you can rely on, when the stress gets to be too much to handle.

2. Priya Bose