Upton Sinclair’s The Jungle

For my last Passion blog of the semester, I’ve selected one of my favorite novels to discuss. Although I call it one of my favorite books, I feel a bit guilty in doing so—I only finished reading it this past March and that, after years of reluctance. For me, the first mention of Upton Sinclair’s The Jungle was in a book about the United State presidents. Although I’m a biology major, I’m also a United States history geek who loves to read about the presidents. The novel was mentioned in the context of Theodore Roosevelt’s presidency. As the 26th president of the United States, Roosevelt established the Food and Drug Administration and passed several sequential Pure Food and Drug Acts. What inspired such radical actions? Incredibly, the answer lies solely in Sinclair’s novel.

Following its release, The Jungle sparked public outcry. Seeking to expose the appalling conditions for laborers and immigrants in the United State, Sinclair had painted an ugly portrait of the worst side of the early 20th century capitalistic society through the story of a dirt-poor, immigrant family. Facing insurmountable odds, the family struggles to sustain their existence; jobs are scarce and the only available jobs can be found at the Chicago meat factory, a monopoly that used immigrants like animals to get maximum work for minimum pay. The family endures appalling living conditions as they slowly lose their little money to traps designed to rob money from inexperienced immigrants. As the family falls apart, the main character lands himself a job in the corrupt Chicago political machine. After the elections are over, he becomes a thief and then a socialist activist in Chicago.

Perhaps what is most significant about The Jungle lies in its power to encourage political action. Very rarely do novels possess power beyond their fictitious worlds. In this way, Sinclair’s The Jungle closely resembles Stowe’s Uncle Tom’s Cabin. Both novels have been extremely influential in our country’s societal and political historical spheres. While I enjoy Sinclair’s writing, style, and the message that he sends through this novel, I most enjoy the precedent that it sets: novels are not just pretty things to be looked at and read. Rather, a novel has the potential to radically change the world we live in, for the better of those inhabiting it.

1 Comment on Upton Sinclair’s The Jungle

1. Robert I Jenkins
    December 4, 2014 at 4:48 pm (9 years ago)

Thank you for sharing these novels, though I have never heard of them its very interesting to think that a book could cause change even though the book is fictional. I’m amazed at books that in a glimpse foreshadow future events especially ones that most of the country felt would not happen such as huge financial gaps in our capitalist society