Write and Respond 2

While doing research for my In the News post I came across an article in the New York Times about the dangers of craft glitter on the environment. Being an art education major, I found this topic especially interesting as I am constantly using different art mediums including glitter. Before taking Math 33 I would have never done research about current events regarding sustainability however, since taking this class I have become more conscious about these issues and made more of an effort to contribute to the solution. The use of products that are potentially dangerous to our environment is something I believe can be easily fixed and has gone on for far too long.

After reading large amounts of articles revolving around the environment I am more confident in my ability to discuss these issues that are so prominent in everyday life and everyday discussion. One thing I feel more confidently about is the banning of everyday objects due to their destruction to the environment. For my last In the News post I discussed microbeads which are typically found in face washes as exfoliants. These small beads are unable to break down once they go down our drain and into the wild. They upset ecosystems and cause permanent damage to our water supply. After researching this topic I became compelled to learn more about other materials we use in everyday life that could potentially be harmful to us. Recently it has come to the public’s attention that glitter is bad for the environment and many states are making efforts to ban it. The small pieces of plastic can sometimes slip through filters and end up in our lakes and oceans as microplastic pollution. Like microbeads, some lawmakers are trying to phase out craft glitter as it ends up in our water system through sinks, washing machines, and travels through our air even.  Along with this ending up in our water supply, like microbeads, it can be digested by small animals. Many of these small animals that digest the glitter, we later eat. Although it seems silly to ban something that seems so innocent and is such a big part of childhood and holiday festivities, we must take into consideration the big picture and how we need to remove damaging products sooner than later.

After taking Math 33 I have become more aware and inclined to buy eco friendly products. The research that I have conducted this semester has helped me to engage in conversation about controversial topics more confidently while also making me more concerned about the wellbeing of our environment. I am more passionate about the damage to our ecosystems because of harmful products and feel extremely strongly about recalling or banning certain harmful objects if they are not absolutely necessary to our survival. This is an issue that I have progressively cared more and more about. I will continue to use this issue as a basis for living a clean and healthy life where I will be conscious of reducing my own carbon footprint.

Fortin, Jacey. “All That Glitter? It’s Not Good, Critics Say.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 30 Nov. 2017, www.nytimes.com/2017/11/30/style/glitter-ban.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fclimate&action=click&contentCollection=climate®ion=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=5&pgtype=sectionfront.

This entry was posted in Write and Respond 2 and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Write and Respond 2

1. djc5722 says:

Hi,
    I was instantly inclined to read your post when I noticed it was regarding “craft glitter in our environment”. This has been a wide spread topic in our news headlines today, and for topics such as this to be discussed in our math course amazes me each time. I find this post most relatable because I can relate in to a CAS course I am currently taking and we are required to listen to a weekly podcast by Harry Shearer. The host likes to discuss issues that are often times overlooked in society and the topic of glitter is often overlooked because people are not aware of the harm it has on our environment. This course has allowed me to visually connect environmental problems to math and view it in a way that allows me to see how these environmental factors impact sustainability.