Write and Respond #2

I am not usually looking forward to a math class because math is really not something I’m good at. But this course is different. I learnt quite a lot from it. I thought I would be doing a lot of calculus and equation solving. But I actually learnt something that’s practical in real life.

I really like the project that we did about a month ago. We learnt about a variety of different energy saving methods. The topic I picked was about how much energy we can save by using stairs instead of elevators, and how much calories we can burn in the process. I also learnt about how regular stair climbing can help prevent all kinds of diseases like heart problems, joint pain and high blood pressure. And by reading other people’s blog posts, I learnt a lot outside of my own project. For example, unplugging your microwave and toaster can save enormous amount of energy. Line drying your clothes can save about 1/3 of your monthly electricity bill. Using LED bulb instead of a high-efficient incandescent bulb can also save a lot of energy. These are all something we can do on a daily basis. They don’t bring us any inconvenience at all. I used to think it wouldn’t make much of a difference through these small actions. But math proves that we can make a huge impact on our environment. I always know that climate change is a serious issue. We all know that through frequent droughts, hail, floods, etc. But I never had the discipline to actually do anything about it. It’s a good time for me to start caring and do something about it.

Sometimes what I learnt from this class challenges my beliefs. I remember the reading assignment about how recycling is completely useless and costs too much money. The best way to deal with our garbage is to bury them. I still don’t know how I feel about that. Land fills pollute groundwater and harm wildlife. Most importantly, majority of our garbage is being dumped to third world countries. We are not burying our garbage right under our feet. I don’t think that’s a responsible move, though I admit I’m not an expert in environmental science to decide what’s right or wrong. I still believe recycling is the way to go. Maybe the process is still quite expensive right now, that doesn’t mean we should just give it up as a whole. I remember I saw a youtube video last year about how we can turn plastic into oil. It was done by a group of Japanese scientists in their garage. If more companies adapt this method, we can make recycling more affordable. I believe there are more efficient and cheaper recycling methods out there. It’s just some companies refuse to adapt them because of switching cost.

I have to say I am more confident now about my ability to measure how human behavior affects global warming. I can now better track my daily routine and understand how my actions will result in a positive or negative impact on our environment.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Write and Respond #2

1. sas6841 says:

Hello,
    I also really enjoyed the project we did about a month ago. I learned a lot about different energy sources and environmental issues, not only from my topic, but others as well. My topic was LED light bulbs, and I am thrilled to hear that you learned that LEG bulbs instead of a high-efficient incandescent bulb can also save a lot of energy.” I agree with you that all the information we learned in this class can be applied to the outside world. I too am more confident in my ability “to measure how human behavior affects global warming”. As a class, I feel we are more aware of our negative footprints in our environment.
    Thanks for the post!
    Sarah Sobel

2. Rachel Stone says:

I agree with what you said about not being sure if it’s best to bury garbage or go through the recycling process. I think there are a lot of other factors that go into this and I hope society can come to an answer but there may not be a clear answer. I also found the other project helpful to see my personal effects on the environment and my own energy footprint / water footprint. As a non-math person too, I believe this course was the perfect fit for me to apply what I know now more confidently and assertively to help increase sustainability in society. I think it’s simple enough to understand but does challenge us morally as well as academically.

3. jjb6046 says:

Hi!
    I feel the same way as you do on this topic! Typically I am horrible at math and I have never once looked forward to a math course by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, I have dropped 2 math courses since I started school. This was the first math course that I have taken that I actually feel that I’ll be able to use the information I learned to benefit my own life. All of the information not only applies to the real world but specifically current topics and events taking place currently. This was the first math course that I have been successful in and the first math course that I have enjoyed.

Joey Balawajder

4. jal6318 says:

I completely agree about your fondness for the project we had done. I too learned a lot and felt that my original beliefs were questioned as more information had risen from my research as well as my classmates. I too thoroughly enjoyed this course and was quite nervous and not very excited about partaking in a math class. I was never good at math and the thought of sitting through a large lecture without interacting with the teacher sounds horrifying. This course, however, was the opposite.
    I enjoyed your post a lot.
    Jordan Lane

5. Madi Murphy says:

Like you, I learned a lot from the first Write and Respond project by researching my own topic and by reading and commenting on my peers’ posts. It was smart of you to include specific references to concepts you learned about to get your point across. Another great method you used to get your point to your audience is talking about simple ways people can help the earth such as turning plastic into oil. What made this helpful was the fact it shows that these are not hard things or things that we cannot find out about. This shows that anyone can turn on their laptop and find simple changes that can make a lastly difference.

6. kac6145 says:

I am also not a big fan of math. This class showed me that it actually can be useful and informative. When doing a math equation we sometimes forget that there is real world facts to back it up. It just feels like numbers on a piece of paper. This class showed that it wasn’t the case. I’m glad we are all more aware of how to help the environment. It’s a class that gives tips on how to “better ourselves.” Great response!

7. Kaitlyn Zirrith says:

I could easily relate to your post because I was never good at math either and I expected that I would have to do a lot of difficult math that I would never use, but I was so pleasantly surprised by this class. The focus in this class was on the big picture of how we as humans are negatively affecting our planet rather than rounding to the perfect decimal for each answer. You are definitely right about how this class provided the students with so much information and made everyone more aware of their lifestyles. No one is an expert after finishing this class but the students are far better equipped for real-world situations and to make their own decisions that will help the environment.

8. Dimitri Tsiavos says:

I like math and calculation but i agree that it was refreshing to take a math course that did more than teach calculations. It was interesting to learn about real problems that need urgent attention like climate change. Sustainability is an important topic and I agree that this class taught you practical things that you will be able to use in the real world. Learning about my own carbon footprint and what i can do to lessen it for instances was really interesting. I also did not know that unplugging things like a toaster and microwave can save you money on your electricity because they use electricity when plugged in even if they are not turn on. Learning things like this was really cool because it is information that we can use on a daily basis. I really enjoyed your post and agree that the information used in this class was very relevant to our everyday lives which made it all the more interesting.

9. ajp5960 says:

I also enjoyed learning about the different energy saving methods. The one that I found interesting in your post is making more stairs rather than elevators. I don’t remember if that was ever suggested in class, but I find that to be a great way to save energy. It makes sense. I agree that this class helps you become aware of the human activity that is affecting the earth. It is important to inform people of what is going on in the world with our current environment.

10. Yu-Tzu Chang says:

hi, I think the project is quite beneficial because we have the chance to receive different perspectives from different article, and further make our own opinion toward the issue. Moreover, it is the chance for me to use different method to write the essay because it requires statistic data, and I never had written any essay that related to math. I also agree with you that this class helps us become more aware of the human activity that is affecting the world, and some other concepts that are both related to math but also can apply to our real world situation.

11. jqh5435 says:

I really enjoyed all the guest lecture series from the class. They helped me to realize the various connections and relations between our daily life and the overall schematics of sustainability and the society. There are a lot of details in daily life we can pay more attentions of. It will help the present and the future world in the long run and will save us from a lot of disasters. I really enjoyed the class as you also mentioned. It helped me learn and have a better understanding of the term sustainability. It is not just a word use to be “green.”