On Rhetoric, Civic life, Gender, and Cynicism

TED Talk and Reflections

http://youtu.be/cE9MoqmJOkQ

I thought the content of my speech was the best aspect. My shift, I think, is something worth discussing and considering. My communication of this idea, however, was lacking some important qualities. I too frequently said, “Um.” I don’t say this when I’m thinking of what to say next, but instead I simply say it between ideas. Removing this from my regular speech is a work in progress, and I do think I made some improvements from my rhetorical artifact speech. I managed much better eye contact in this speech, which is particularly important as engagement is crucial in a TED talk (and staring at the wall for 6 minutes is not engaging). I tried to utilize more controversial visuals in order to assist the speech’s engagement, such as the last picture with the topless “nun” with profanity written across her chest and the absurd arguments on social media against Islam.

When I compare my speech to those I saw, I’m particularly critical of mine. Presentation was overall impressive. The content of all speeches, I think, was impressive as well. The observed TED talks all provided insightful and important consideration of paradigm shifts, from seemingly simple ideas of selfies to more complex norms of puritanism and liberalism. Visuals were also employed interestingly, which enhanced the “performance” aspect of the TED talks. My favorite particularly was the use of a swinging pendulum to compare the continual shifts to and from puritanism and liberalism. This visual was simple, but the ideas conveyed by the speaker were more complex and so she used this simplicity to better explain the idea.