Passion Blog Semester 2 #5: The Top 5 Best Superhero Powers/Abilities in my Opinion

Overview:

With respect to superheroes, every comic book recognizes that each character has its own unique power or ability. After reading comic books my entire life, I now recognize how these special abilities shape the personalities of different characters. For example, with Superman, his ability for Superhuman Strength allows him to be confident and assertive. Similarly, characters such as Batman with the special ability of stealth, allows him to be clever and cunning. Superpowers also demonstrate limitations of characters because they represent each character’s strengths and weaknesses. Therefore for my blog post this week, I have decided to write about the top 4 most beneficial superpowers based on my longtime experience with comic books.

Number 4: Super Speed/Flight:

3772529-8460582095-tumbl

One of the most beneficial abilities for superheroes is the ability to appear super fast when confronting evil villains. In comic book stories, superheroes that possess super speed or flight include Superman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, and even Iron Man. With regards to Superman, Wonder Woman and the Flash, all from the famous DC Justice League, super speed allows them to find villains very quickly. There super speed allows them to dodge both attacks from evildoers, such as the Brainiac or Brutale, as well as natural disasters, such as meteors or asteroids. In comparison to the DC Universe, Iron Man’s super speed is much more interesting because his human creator, Tony Stark, created this ability by using technology. Iron Man’s metal suit has jet projectors that allow him to move super fast. I believe this reflects Tony Stark’s ability to be quick and productive when the situation requires it. Super speed or flight is crucial in allowing superheroes to escape attacks from villain.

Number 3: Invisibility

Invisible_Woman_Portrait_Art

Along with Super Speed, another important superpower that I believe is extremely valuable is invisibility. As many of you know, invisibility allows superheroes to hide without being seen by the enemy. This can be incredibly strategic, as the super villains often cannot plan an ambush against the hero. The most famous superhero with the power of invisibility is Marvel’s Sue Richards of the Fantastic Four, also well known as the Invisible Woman. Invisible Woman’s invisibility is much more useful than simply having the ability to disappear. The fact that she is invisible also allows her to walk through walls without making a sound. Furthermore, as some comic fans may know, invisibility is also an ability commonly tied in with force fields. This ability of Invisible Woman is incredibly helpful as force fields often generate an energy resistant to magical or explosive attacks. Therefore, with respect to invisibility, I believe the personality trait that best represents it is safety, as it allows superheroes to protect their comrades from attacks.

Number 2: Super Human Strength.

3352656-hulk

With respect to superheroes, one of the most common traits associated with them is the ability of superhuman strength. This ability is incredibly useful and is seen among a wide range of different characters. These include Wonder Woman, Captain America, The Hulk, and most famously, Superman. With respect to superhuman strength, many comic fans relate it to alter egos. With many superheroes with strengths, they often undergo major transformations in which they were not nearly as powerful beforehand. This is most evidently seen with Captain America as his human form, Steven Rogers, was originally described as very weak and feeble. After undergoing a scientific transformation, he was provided with super powerful muscles that allowed him to fight against villains. Similarly, the Hulk of the Avengers also obtained the ability of super strength due to a scientific malfunction in the lab. Overtime, the Hulk learnt how to control his abilities and became a vital fighter for his team. With respect to Wonder Woman and Superman, super human strength is important as it represents justice and fighting for what people believe in. In essence, superhero strength is often tied with righteousness and transformations among famous superhero characters.

Number 1: Stealth

Batman_102813_1600

My favorite superhero ability is not one that any character gained inherited from a transformation, rather something gained from experience. This superhero ability is the power of stealth. Stealth is the most important aspect of a superhero because it demonstrates how a character is willing to use his or her abilities towards their advantage. As I mentioned earlier, Batman, also famously known under his surname Bruce Wayne, is the best example of a superhero with the ability of stealth. Despite not having any magical of superhuman abilities, Batman is a vital members of the Avengers Team because he can attack enemies without easily being spotted. He recognizes that to find and battle villains, such as the nefarious Joker, Batman needs to think cleverly and strategically. He is often patient with his attacks and only strikes when it is necessary. Similar to Batman, all superheroes to an extent use stealth because it is needed for them to develop strategies against villains. Therefore, I believe stealth is the most useful ability for a superhero because it demonstrates intelligence, a characteristic that is found in all ordinary people.

In-Conclusion

As a comic book fanatic, I am here to tell you that superhero powers reflect notable aspects of each character. Whether they possess invisibility, super speed, strength, or are just a stealthy individual, their super abilities shape their character development. Next time you read a comic, I suggest you pay close attention to how each character uses his or her powers. It will allow you to understand their hidden personalities and personas.

Images Work Cited:

“Thread: Superman & Wonder Woman Appreciation!” CBR Community RSS. 30 Apr. 2014. Web. 22 Feb. 2015. <http://community.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?278-Superman-amp-Wonder-Woman-Appreciation!>.

Web. 22 Feb. 2015. <http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/File:SJPA_Iron_Man_1.png>.

“Invisible Woman.” Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 20 Jan. 2007. Web. 22 Feb. 2015. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invisible_Woman>.

“World Breaker Hulk vs. One Punch Man.” – Battles. 22 Nov. 2013. Web. 22 Feb. 2015. <http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles-7/world-breaker-hulk-vs-onepunchman-1513042/>.

Stapleton, Dan. “Batman: Arkham Origins Review – IGN.” IGN. 25 Oct. 2013. Web. 22 Feb. 2015. <http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/25/batman-arkham-origins-review>.

One thought on “Passion Blog Semester 2 #5: The Top 5 Best Superhero Powers/Abilities in my Opinion

1. Matthew Lamas

Hey, Matthew! If I had to choose any of these super-powers it’d be definitely stealth! Yeah, some people MAY get it confused with invisibility, but invisibility doesn’t promise stealth. You can be invisible and be the most unbalanced piece of work ever, but if you’re stealthy, then you’re practically invisible! So stealth offers that hint of ninja-ness that someone would need against an enemy instead of being an awkward and loud invisible human being!