Sateré-Mawé Initiation

Amazon Rainforest, Brazil

Although one of Brazil’s twenty-six states and home to several large cities, Amazonas remains largely covered by the dense foliage of South America’s lush rainforest.  In the depths of the jungle, many native tribes still follow their traditional ways of life.  Largely undisturbed by outsiders for many years, these independent natives carry on ancient practices and rituals that have contributed to their survival amid the perils that constantly surround them.

One of the largest of these groups is the Sateré-Mawé, a tribe of roughly ten thousand members that inhabits the northern region of Amazonas.  Although the tribe lives in relative seclusion and has little contact with outsiders, the Mawé have allowed the rare visitor to document their unique lifestyle and traditions.  Unaffected by external influences, the Mawé people offer a window into the rich history of American Natives.  They are a living example of a what used to be a much more common way of life.

While perhaps most notable to those who initially encountered them for being the first to cultivate guarana, the Mawé people are not primarily concerned with agriculture.  Their culture values strength and courage, qualities needed to protect the tribe from hostile neighbors and natural predators, as well as to provide a steady supply of food for its members.  Mawé warriors and hunters ensure the well-being of the tribe in many regards, and they are highly revered.  As a result, young boys in the tribe are raised with the purpose of becoming warriors constantly at mind.

Joining the ranks of Mawé warriors, however, is not an easy undertaking.  In one of the tribe’s most sacred rituals, young men hoping to gain the status of their elders must show themselves capable of enduring the worst that the jungle has to offer.  They prove their worth by remaining calm, often entirely expressionless, while experiencing excruciating pain.

The Mawé test their young men’s strength against a natural predator: the ant.  Although it may not seem a formidable challenge to a foreigner, the Amazon Rainforest is home to a particularly venomous species of ant.  A single sting from Paraponera clavata, the ant of choice for Mawé initiations, is capable of causing hours of pain.  The species has been nicknamed the “bullet ant” because a sting is said (by some victims) to be as painful as being shot.  The powerful toxin used by the ant attacks and interferes with the nervous system, often causing uncontrollable shaking even after the waves of pain have ceased.  The effects of a single ant sting have been known to last days; the warrior hopefuls of the Mawé tribe, however, do not sustain just one sting.

In preparation for the initiation ceremony, bullet ants are sedated and harvested from the jungle.  While unconscious, the ants are woven into a pair of gloves made from leaves, with their stingers facing inward.  To be considered a man of the tribe, boys as young as twelve will thrust their hands into the gloves for a full five minutes (or longer), being stung the entire time.  The tribe leads the initiates in song and dance during the ordeal, but this distraction is their only relief.

When the gloves are removed, the ants’ venom continues acting for hours.  In addition to the pain, it can cause muscle paralysis, disorientation, and hallucinations for hours.  And while completing the ceremony earns the young men respect, they must wear the gloves a total of twenty times before being considered fully initiated as tribal warriors.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. body mass workout

Sateré-Mawé Initiation | Cultures and Customs

2. […] Sateré Mawé aboriginal people and the producers from Sri Lanka will be at the Guayapi stand at Sial in Hall 5A […]

3. blowjob videos amateur

4. […] their commitment to their faith and recognize Jewish law. In places like the Brazilian Amazon the Satere-Mawe Tribe have a coming of age ritual in which a boy places his hands inside bullet ant lined mittens. This […]

5. перейдите по этой ссылке

6. homes for sale in sacramento ca

7. […] Sateré Mawé aboriginal people and the producers from Sri Lanka will be at the Guayapi stand at Sial in Hall 5A […]

8. visit the website

9. […] the singing and dancing going on around them. This is the onboarding process for young men of the Sateré-Mawé tribe in Amazonas, […]

10. […] the singing and dancing going on around them. This is the onboarding process for young men of the Sateré-Mawé tribe in Amazonas, […]

11. […] the singing and dancing going on around them. This is the onboarding process for young men of the Sateré-Mawé tribe in Amazonas, […]

12. […] a four is pain so intense that one of the few creatures whose sting rates that high is used in an Amazonian ritual that marks the transition from boyhood to manhood. The bullet ant, used in that ritual, causes hours of “pure, intense, brilliant pain,” […]

13. […] use a razor on my chin and be a man like my dad. In the Amazon rain forests of Brazil, the Satere-Mawe tribe determine ones attainment of manhood quite differently. A glove is filled with Paraponera or Bullet […]

14. I find it so interesting that accepted rituals of one culture can seem completely absurd to another. Seeing as even harmless bugs freak me out, I can’t even imagine being subjected to putting my hands in gloves full of poisonous ants!

15. This is an idea that really makes you think about your own culture and the ones around you. It’s amazing to see that something I think is completely crazy and nonsense as a source of unparalleled pride and strength to another culture.

16. I hate how one little error can shake you up for the whole speech. I did not get to see your talk, but I can definitely see how messing up the introduction can potentially mess up the entire talk. I’m sure you recovered well though and it couldn’t have been as bad as you thought.

17. I always like reading your blog because I always learn something new and interesting. I once saw a short documentary on this tradition, but I didn’t realize that they had to do this 20 times! I think that they should come up with a different standard as to whether or not someone is worthy of becoming a warrior. (Sorry I posted your RCL comment here)

18. WOW. Yeah, I’m kind of glad this isn’t a regular thing anymore… I have a mix of admiration but also confusion as to why anyone would do this… It just goes to show that different cultures can have widely varying perspectives on the same ideas and practices.

19. Hi, Michael other than the start of your speech, it went well. The one problem that I would fix for the next presentation that you give is to make sure that all of the colors on your graphs and charts are contrasting and dark enough to show up. I think that when you couldn’t clearly see your graphs it may have distracted you and messed up your introduction.