My Favorite Outfit

I’m wearing my favorite winter work outfit today.  You’ve likely seen it a dozen times.  I wear this same combo usually once a week.  It may not seem like anything special.  A pair of brown slacks and a green turtleneck cable-knit sweater.

So what is it about this outfit that has me so enamored?  Part of it is the quality of the clothing.  The sweater is Eddie Bauer.  Very well made.  And nice and cozy on a chilly day.  The slacks are from The Limited.  Also very nice quality.  And comfortable.  But the real reason I love this outfit so much?  It cost me less than $3 to purchase.

It’s no secret that I love to find a bargain at the State College Goodwill Store.  But why were these nice pieces not snatched up by someone else?  I think I just got lucky on the sweater.  I got it the first day that it was moved to the half-price tier.  This particular Goodwill store codes items with colored tags.  The first two weeks an item is in the store, it is full price.  But every Sunday the prices change.  The third week an item is the store, it moves to half price.  And the fourth week it is marked down to $0.69.  So I got the sweater for $2.00 on the first day it was half price.  A nice find!  The pants were a different story.  I got those for $0.69.  Why were such great pants still there after a full three weeks?  They were missing a fastener.  So I went home, got out my sewing kit, attached a new fastener (which I just happened to have on hand from a prior project), shortened the length (because I’m vertically challenged), and celebrated one of the best bargains I’ve ever nabbed from Goodwill.

Not every trip to the thrift store is a success.  Sometimes I find nothing.  Sometimes I get amazing deals on stuff I’ve been searching for.  But I like the thrill of the hunt.  And I LOVE amazing bargains!

One thought on “My Favorite Outfit

1. Pingback: Dry Clean Only: Does It Really Mean That? | Penn State Law Financial Aid Moneywise Tips