Les Crepes!

So now I will delve into the sublime. The mere mentioning of such a subject evokes raw emotion among even the gauntest of diets. This is none other than …. the crepe! These delectable French delights do not necessarily represent the highest of cuisine, but they never fail to please a crowd. But what is it about this simple fare that has always wowed consumers everywhere. First, lets start with none other than myself.
I have enjoyed crepes ever since I first I ever sunk my teeth into them my freshman year of high school. This fateful day was on a field trip with my school’s French club. We were visiting a local restaurant called Rachel’s Creperie and they served… you guessed it… crepes. I’ll never forget the savory ham and brie crepe. It was filled with pure delight and wonder. The second I was finished I knew I wanted another and a habit would be formed. So in discovering this new delight I found another reason to love all things French. But what was it about this odd little pancakes that captivate people everywhere? Some might say that it is their versatility. Just think about it, you can literally put anything your heart so desires into this little package. It does not have to be breakfast themed, dinner themed, or any theme at all! The crepe simply has to cater to whatever it is that you so desire. So many other great foods share this property. For instance, we all recognize the versatility of pizza. There is a pizza for nearly every topping under the sun, whether it is barbecue chicken, spaghetti, maccaroni and cheese or whatever you want! Controlling our food is perhaps one greatest ways to captivate consumers, and the crepe certainly succeeds at such a feat.
What most people do not realize is how much of an art cooking crepes really is. It is not the status quo method of making a pancake in which you just slap a few dollops of bisquick onto a griddle. The ingredients are very basic and mostly consist of standard eggs, flour, salt, butter, and other small additives. This is deceptively simple, but the true defining factor of making crepes comes in to your savoir-faire on the griddle. It is absolutely neccessary that you maintain the crepes thin stature as not to accidentally make an over glorified flapjack. Because the crepe is ultimately very thin, it is necessary to be able to flip it with ease. A simple mishap in this step will lead to a disastrous attempt at cooking never to be mentioned by anyone again. Once you have cooked the standard doughy part of the crepe, you now must top it. As mentioned earlier, people use everything. Some of the more popular toppings include: Nutella, chocolate, mixed fruits, whipped cream, and more. Now that you have topped your crepe you are now ready to enjoy this tiny slice of paradise. So next time that you do eat a crepe, perhaps you will appreciate it a little more.

1 comment

1. Talayah Johnson

I loved how detailed you are ! i actually made me want a crepe even though I am not as fond of them as you are. So I really feel like you accomplished your goal in this blog! Are crepes more appealing to you because they are a french food ?