The Evolution of the Modern Day Spy Movie

There is something about spies that just make them awesome individuals that we wish to become one day. Whether it is their well dressed appearance, their different gismos and gadgets, or their fancy British accents, we all can manage to have a soft spot for spies and enjoy a solid spy movie. From James Bond, to Jason Bourne, to Austin Powers, and every spy in between, these men alone have starred in classic movies that we can all come to enjoy. However, two years ago, I saw a spy movie that revolutionized the game and set the bar extremely high for spy movies in the near future.

“Kingsman: The Secret Service,” caught me off guard when I first saw it at the theater, simply for the fact that I thought it was going to be mediocre at best. I remember going to see this movie in the theater with my mom and I was ambivalent at first. I heard nothing about this film leading up to my visit to the theater and other than Firth and Jackson, there were no real premier actors who starred in this movie. However, from the very beginning till the last scene, this is movie that unlike many other movies I saw at the theater, was worth it.

The main premise of the movie is kind of what you think. A young twenty-something year old emerges as a badass spy in a secret spy organization. Eggsy (Taron Egerton) finds out that his father, who happened to die as a spy, was one of the most legendary spies that the

KSS_JB_D01_00117 - Colin Firth stars as Harry, an impeccably suave spy, in KINGSMAN THE SECRET SERVICE.

Kingsman organization has ever seen. After terrifying and life-threatening training and tasks, Eggsy finally has the chance to fulfill his father’s reputation. Meanwhile, Harry (Colin Firth), the head spy, is investigating and suspicious of global philanthropist, Valentine (Samuel L. Jackson). By watching this movie, this weak synopsis will make more sense. Simply put, Jackson’s character is creating a scheme that would reduce the world’s population significantly. He has a well developed plan that would in essence, cause citizens to kill one another, while the wealthiest and most powerful individuals across the world were safe and isolated at a faraway bunker.

I think I enjoy this movie a lot because even though it emulates several characteristics of previous spy movies, it is also very unique in its own regard. There is endless comedy throughout, awesome special effects and my favorite part, a kickass fight scene like no other in the history of movies.  This movie shattered my preconceived notions that I held when first going to the theater. I was not expecting to enjoy the movie as much as I did, and I think that this instance proves that sometimes, you just have to give a movie a chance, regardless of your lack of knowledge on the film.

Yes, James Bond throughout history was the most well-known spy movie of all time, but I now feel that Mr. Bond has finally met his match. Simply put, if you’re looking for a movie with excess swearing, British accents, spy technology, and an awesome story line, this is the movie for you.kingsman-eggsy