RSS Feed

Emma Watson Creating Magic in the Real World

February 25, 2015 by Nicole Luchansky   

Emma Watson. Perhaps one of the most spectacular Hollywood transformations to date. As Glamour Magazine states, “Potter to Perfection.” We all remember Emma Watson’s brilliant years in Harry Potter, but I think even more memorable, was her almost overnight transformation from geeky wizard to the epitome of chic. From black robes to couture, Watson can pull of any look. You name, she’s worn it, and she’s enchanted it.

before

She is arguably the only person alive who can pull off elegant fishnets coupled with a frilly, farmer girl dress and a daring pixie cut.

farmer

And on days when she feels like leaving the innocent peasant girl look behind, she rocks a black, leather peplum jacket, with bootie shorts and black tights. For most, this outfit would come off as trashy, but for Watson, she makes it tasteful and fierce. (especially as she rocks the black, cat eyes) Who knows, maybe the all black look was a flashback to her black robe in Harry Potter, just a much more fearless option?

leather

On the red carpet, she once confidently walked in a backless red dress, accompanied by cropped black pants and blue suede shoes. A color and style combination that is painful to the ear, but absolutely stunning to the eye.

red

As I continue to pour over picture after picture of Watson, it is difficult to choose one specific outfit to comment on. So for your viewing pleasure, here are a plethora of my other favorites.

3 2 1

4 5 6

7 8 9

Now, before I get carried away, this is an anti-fashion blog, right? Each week, I choose a celebrity who has been misread by society for various reasons, but continues to surprise the world with great fashion and great acts. For this week, Emma Watson is slightly different, because her image has not been tainted by the media. She has done nothing to win her notorious and unwanted to fame. However, while she could easily just glide through life, considering the reverence which she receives from the public, Watson has gone above and beyond.

Watson has created remarkable fashion, while also using fashion to spark a feminist movement around the world.

heforeshe

Emma Watson, a Goodwill Ambassador for UN Women, gave a compelling speech regarding feminism, as she launched the HeForShe initiative. She discusses how feminism has developed into such a negative term. She expresses that feminism is not simply about women’s rights, but the equality of men and women, as well as the preservation of basic human rights. Watson urges her listeners to open their eyes and realize that there are many women around the world who are not fortunate enough to maintain basic human rights. Watson explains, “My life is a sheer privilege because my parents didn’t love me less because I was born a daughter. My school did not limit me because I was a girl.  My mentors didn’t assume that I would go less far because I might give birth to a child one day.” Gender inequality is a major issue in today’s world, and the movement to eliminate the inequality is being hindered by the stigma associated with “feminism.” To try and alleviate the stigma, Watson offers the notion that feminism supports men as well. Many men are told that they cannot express emotion and feeling, and that being sensitive somehow makes them less of a man. Furthermore, particularly in patriarchal society, fathers who take on “motherly” roles are looked down upon. Watson is extremely passionate about the cause. She argues that feminism is not a word or a viewpoint, but a way of living, and that it is time for men and women to unite and fight for the human equality each person deserves.

At the Oscars this past Sunday, Watson was not there in person to make another victorious fashion statement. However, she was still there in spirit as she posted on Twitter and used fashion to further the trend for the HeForShe campaign. Jack McDorman and Steve Carell both wore HeForShe cufflinks and she wrote both of them lovely letters expressing her gratitude and her support. In this case, the fashion accessory acted as a symbol, uniting men and women in equality.

he

When it comes to Emma Watson, most recognize her fashion achievements. However, I think it is important to realize just how amazing of a person she actually is. She certainly knows how to wear clothing, but more importantly, she is making a difference in the world, and at times, uses fashion to do so!

#HeForShe@EmmaWatson

3 Comments »

1. Taylor says:

I loved reading this post! Emma Watson always surprises me with how much she takes on and achieves as time goes on, its amazing and inspiring! That speech has helped keep the ball rolling in regards to women’s rights. Great post! Loved it!

2. Lisa Keim says:

I got really excited when I saw that you had chosen to blog about Emma Watson this week. I absolutely love her, and she looks incredible in literally everything, so I had a field day looking through the pictures at the beginning of the post. More importantly, however, she is using her celebrity in such positive, important ways. Her UN speech about feminism started a whole new movement, which is really exciting and a huge deal for women’s rights. Great post!

3. Lillian says:

I have to admit Emma Watson is one of the celebrities that surprised me the most throughout the year. Just as you have stated in this post, she has done so much in so many different fields. Emma Watson is also very daring and is willing to try out different fashion ideas even if she receives criticism from other people and the media. Great post for this week!

You must be logged in to post a comment.