Redefining beauty, reclaiming confidence: “The Dove Campaign for Real Beauty”

I am very passionate about promoting the idea of “Real Beauty” and instilling confidence in women. My interest in The Dove Campaign for Real Beauty began a few years ago when I watched “Evolution of Beauty.” The piece highlights the distortion of natural beauty in the media by following the creation of a billboard ad.

Models sit in makeup chairs for hours and stand in front of a camera while thousands of photographs are taken. After the photo shoot, one picture among thousands is chosen to undergo the editing process. After airbrushing, elongating, removing blemishing, and “perfecting” the model’s image the photo is plastered on a giant billboard. What message is this sending to women?

Even as a woman with high hopes of having a career in the media, I disagree with the distorted image of beauty that it often endorses. From childhood to womanhood, women are exposed to the influence of media and recent studies have shown that it is impacting our self-image.

I believe in The Dove Campaign for Real Beauty and find its mission statement incredibly inspiring, “Imagine a World Where Beauty Is a Source of Confidence, Not Anxiety.” In my evaluation I will examine the methods by which the campaign positively promotes the idea of beauty and confidence. I will compare the Dove campaign videos and photos with videos and photos in the media that portray “beauty.” I will also attempt to analyze the impact and success of the program. I hope audiences will understand the importance of having a positive self-image and live by the ideas that The Dove Campaign for Real Beauty advocates after reading my paper.