Review: Irving’s Bagels

A signature bagel sandwich and smoothie from Irving’s (Not my picture – from @IrvingsPSU Instagram)

Welcome back, readers! This week I decided to come back a bit closer into town and make a stop at one of the tastiest cafe in town: Irving’s Bagels! Although this wonderfully cute breakfast and lunch specialty cafe is nowhere near lacking in its delicious espresso products, Irving’s is known for their food, specifically their delicious bagels.

All of Irving’s bagels are made in-house and are probably the best bagels that I have eaten. According to Irving’s website, the bagels are made by boiling the dough before baking them – an interesting technique, to say the least. Whatever this local business is doing, it’s doing it right! The cafe offers an array of bagel flavors, from plain to blueberry to everything (my personal favorite) to onion. The menu is quite extensive as well. Irving’s makes sandwiches that are to die for, anywhere from your traditional breakfast sandwich to a classic BLT, served on your choice of bagel, of course. My go-to order at Irving’s is the Breakfast Special: a sandwich comprised of your choice of bagel, American cheese, egg, and your choice of bacon, sausage, tomato, Canadian bacon, or pork roll. Personally, I always go for this tasty sandwich with an everything bagel and bacon. I could eat them everyday for a month, if I really set my mind to gaining that much weight. However, if you find yourself hungry around lunchtime but don’t want the same boring food offered at the dining halls of HUB, I definitely recommend the Baja Chicken Club: a grilled chicken breast with cheddar cheese, house-made spicy mayo, avocado, bacon, lettuce, tomato, and red onion, served on your choice of bagel. Anything at Irving’s is delicious, though, so why not try it all?

Now, I must add a section of this blog post to discuss coffee, or else why would I even be featuring this place on my blog specifically about coffee? Irving’s has a delicious assortment of specialty teas and coffees. During the hot, humid Pennsylvania months between May and October, I always opt for an iced chai latte with almond milk. This delicious vegan substitute really amps up the chai spice in this drink that’s sure to cool you off even on the hottest of the dog days of summer. Irving’s is also known for their fruit smoothies, and I’m sure you’ve spotted students around campus sporting one of their signature blue cups with fun-colored deliciousness inside! If you’re in need for a nice warm drink to cozy up with in a corner of Irving’s to get some studying done during finals week, though, go for cafe latte, or switch it up by opting for a cafe mocha or caramel latte instead! Basically, you can’t go wrong with anything served at Irving’s.

The only aspect of Irving’s I’m not totally won over with, however, is the atmosphere. The upstairs portion can become a bis disorganized, especially on a busy day, and tables and chairs end up strewn in areas away from where they’re intended to be. But there is a neat little downstairs nook that definitely offers some quiet space to get away from the noisy hustle and bustle of the upstairs environment. All in all, Irving’s earns a definite A+ for its delicious bagels, sandwiches, and specialty drinks that are sure to please even the pickiest of eaters and drinkers!

Irving’s Bagels is located at 110 E. College Ave., located in the heart of downtown State College, directly across from Penn State’s campus. Irving’s hours are Sunday through Saturday from 7 am – 8 pm. Follow their Instagram page @IrvingsPSU and like their Facebook page.