The archives at the Pennsylvania Center for Folklore manages more than ten distinct collections that include documents, photographs, sound and video recordings, and material objects, mainly pertaining to the folklore, folklife, and history of Pennsylvania. Some of these collections can be accessed on-site, while others are housed in different locations. Our core collections include:
The Pennsylvania Folk Arts Collection
A significant collection of written materials, audio/video media, slides, prints, computer files, and material objects that document traditional arts surveys, folk arts apprenticeships, and folklore exhibitions managed by the Pennsylvania Heritage Affairs Commission (1983-1995), the Institute for Cultural Partnerships (1995-2010), and Jump Street Harrisburg.
The Archive of Pennsylvania Folklore and Ethnography
Several thousand manuscripts, recordings, and photographs documenting field-collected folk traditions and cultural behavior; arranged by project and genre and cross-referenced for location, ethnicity, religion, tradition-bearer, and occupation.
Manuscripts, documents, recordings, and photographs on central Pennsylvania folklore, local history, folk art, and architecture compiled by Dr. Mac Barrick (1933-1991), professor at Shippensburg University and other colleges, and author of German-American Folklore. Includes indexes for folk proverbs, beliefs, narratives, and speech.
Sue Samuelson Papers
Research and field notes of Dr. Sue Samuelson (1958-1990)—professor at Penn State Harrisburg, University of California-Berkeley, and Rutgers—relating to Pennsylvania foodways and festivals.
John Yetter Collection of Steelton Historical Material
Over 2,000 photographs and hundreds of publications on Steelton, Pennsylvania, an ethnic-industrial community in Dauphin County known for the first mill in the United States built expressly for the manufacture of steel. Compiled by John Yetter, Steelton resident, and author of Steelton, Pennsylvania: Stop, Look, Listen.
Folklore Book and Journal Collection
The PACF has also maintains a small collection of books and journals useful to folklore students and scholars. These titles are available for use in the Center, but are not available for loan.
The Center Archives are open to the public at the following times in the Fall 2018 term:
|Tues.||10 a.m.||1 p.m.|
|Wed.||10 a.m.||1 p.m.|
|Thurs.||10 a.m.||1 p.m.|
These hours continue until the week of April 22. The archives are closed on the following days: January 21 and February 26 to March 9, 2019. The archives are also closed on any days of campus closure due to inclement weather. Before visiting the archives, please consult our Archive Use Policy and Agreement. For more information, contact the archivist.
For driving directions, click on the Church Hall pin in the interactive map below to view in Google Maps.