RSS Feed

Edward Scissorhands

October 7, 2015 by Graham Pellegrino   

Recently I watch the Tim Burton film Edward Scissorhands, starring Johnny Depp.  For anyone who does not know is a young man is created by an old inventor, who dies before he can put the finishing touches on his creation, his hands.  As a result the young man is left with scissors for hands and is locked away in his creator’s mansion.  One day a door to door saleswoman visits the mansion and finds the creation, Edward.  She takes him into his home and he lives with her and her family.  After time together Edward falls in love with the family daughter, but after an unfortunate series of events throughout the movie, Edward and the daughter do not end up together.  However, as Edward retreats back to his secluded mansion he makes ice in memory of the family daughter he still loves.  But wait, how did Edward get the ice?  This is the plot hole at the end of the movie I want to focus on today.

So Edward makes grand ice sculptures of the daughter, Kim, who he used to love.  But how does he get the ice, hold the ice, or prevent it from melting?  As we have seen throughout the movie Edward cannot hold things so he did not call to order the ice.  He cannot type on a computer to order the ice over the internet either.  So how does the ice get to his house?  He cannot have stored it up for years before his master died, which would not be logical as his master died unexpectedly.  Even if somehow Edward does get the ice how does he move it?  He has no grip so he cannot transport it around the house.  Finally how does he keep it from melting?  Edward lives in either Southern California or Florida (it is never made clear) both having extreme heat and it did not seem Edward had a giant air conditioner or freezer nearby.  The idea that Edward’s love for Kim lives on in his ice sculptures is romantic, but impractical for the location and condition of Edward.

The movie is funny, romantic, and dramatic throughout and is very enjoyable to watch.  However, the logistics of the closing scenes raise a few eyebrows.  If anyone can give even a slight solution to how Edward manages the ice I would love to hear some answers to this plot hole!

2 Comments »

1. Chloe Hoffman says:

I love this movie and the ice getting into the mansion was never something I thought about before, nice catch! After the whole drama at the end of the movie, no one in the town would help Edward get that ice to the mansion either so I have no idea how it got there. This movie is so beautiful and well crafted (like most Tim Burton movies are). I find a lot of people are turned off to it because of the bizarre subject matter but it is really a deeper look at outcasts in society and it does so really nicely.

2. Jonah Strenski says:

I have absolutely no idea how he managed to transport ice to the secluded mansion, but I do know that basements have a constant temperature of 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Perhaps that helped slightly keep things cooler, but for the most part I am stumped.

You must be logged in to post a comment.