Above all, the “Passion Blog” should be on a topic or theme about which students are excited to write. When students are choosing the focus of the Passion Blog, they will think carefully about how they might sustain this blog over ten sessions to meet the course requirement—and maybe beyond! How will bloggers introduce new topics? How will they interest and inform readers, engaging them in their topic? How will their entries invite readers to comment? Writing this blog should be a pleasure and a challenge for students.
Successful passion blog entries are:
- submitted in a timely fashion and average about 500 words in length.
- written in a lively voice that engage and provoke its audience into commenting and taking distinctive stances.
- coherent in terms of content or focus and address a particular topic, niche audience, or human interest angle.
- able to draw upon the multi-modal affordances of the blog platform and are formatted attractively.
- attentive to grammar and correctness, but may be written in an informal or colloquial style.