RSS Feed

Inspirational Woman: Tyra Banks

November 15, 2012 by Cheyenne Pettiford   

From supermodel, to talk show host, to the host and judge of a hit television show, Tyra Banks has racked up a number of accomplishments. Born in Inglewood, California and the daughter of parents who divorced while she was 6 years old, she was able to overcome the obstacles of her adolescence; in high school, she experienced taunting from her peers due to a sudden growth spurt. In time, her awkward phase ceased and she began gracing covers of magazines such as Seventeen and walking runways in Paris. She soon became of the world’s most coveted supermodels, and after accepting her more full and curvaceous body, switched from runway to magazine modeling, becoming the first African American woman to grace the cover of Sport’s Illustrated Swimsuit Edition and model for Victoria’s Secret. After establishing herself in the world of modeling, Banks moved to acting, appearing in the popular TV show The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (one of my favorites), Love and Basketball, and one of my favorite Disney Channel movies, LifeSize. Eventually Tyra made the transition from being featured in productions to going behind the scenes, and became the host of both America’s Next Top Model and The Tyra Banks Show. Her many milestones in the entertainment industry are the not the bulk of her accomplishments, and what I find to be so inspirational about Tyra Banks is that she has maintained true to herself, even being apart of high-vanity and judgemental industries. She has even created  a foundation to support and help young girls who struggle with self-esteem issues, and leads by example that being yourself and going against the grain can lead to success and happiness.

“I’m competitive with myself. I always try to push past my own borders.”

1 Comment

1. Erin Glocke says:

Tyra Banks is definitely inspiring and a role model for almost anyone. She’s taken such control of her life and she has done great things with it. Many people would be satisfied to just be famous for one reason, but she’s famous for several different ones, and not just for the heck of being famous. She does what she does because she loves it and she is passionate about her work, which I really respect.