AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am, Pebble Beach, CA (February 9-12)

Similar to the Waste Management Scottsdale Open last week, the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am is sure to be a blast! This tournament, originally the Bing Crosby Pro-Amateur Golf Championship, has been played on the tour at Pebble Beach since 1947 and has year after year offered timeless memories. As for the players who are competing this week, we have a great field. Phil Mickelson returns with Pebble Beach being one of his most winning courses and a good record to his season so far. Jordan Spieth, Dustin Johnson, and Jason Day (World #1) also top out this great field each looking to win on tour for the first time this season.

Like most other tour events, the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am consists of 72 holes over the course of four days. As you may have guessed by the title, along with the regular stroke play event that is held between the professionals, a best-ball format tournament takes place between pro-amateur teams. The aspect is what makes this tournament so fun! Through the years, so many well known individuals have played in this tournament right along side the professionals. This week, some of the more notable amateur players include Mark Wahlberg, Bill Murray, Peyton Manning, and Patriot’s coach, Bill Belichick.

Picture of Bill Murray in the Pebble Beach Pro-Am, always a staple of the amateur field.

Phil Mickelson has continuously play better and better since his start of the season four weeks ago. Speaking of fours, Phil has won this tournament a record-tying four times with the last being 2012. With such good form coming into the week, he can surly turn back the clock and be in contention on Sunday. As for Jordan Spieth, in the three tournaments that he has played this year, he hasn’t finished the week outside tenth place, so his game should also prove worthy enough to win on Sunday. We haven’t seen much of either Jason Day for Dustin Johnson in the early season, but in their appearances have not lived up to the high standards they each for themselves last season, so the jury is still out on how they will finish the week.

Phil Mickelson tees off during the first round of the tournament.

The weekend is sure to be very entertaining! Even if you don’t usually watch golf, this week is a great time to flip the tournament on and watch. Not only are the celebrities going to be noticeable, the Pebble Beach itself will also be the center for many beautiful backdrops.

One thought on “AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am, Pebble Beach, CA (February 9-12)

1. I think this post and the focus of your blog in general are really interesting, especially for readers that are fairly unfamiliar with pro golf. The big names you mentioned are always recognizable, but I think your posts are a great way to keep track of how they’re doing and how they’ll be playing.

I liked the tone you used in this post. The post read like an ESPN brief and was easy to understand without a whole lot of technical jargon. I also liked your incorporation of images throughout the post–they kept my eyes moving and were placed well in the text.

I think Bill Murray will be the real highlight-maker at this tournament, I’m hoping for some funny videos of his play.

Who’s your favorite pro?

Reply