I was really hoping to practice my German while I’m here, which I was worried about at first because all of my coworkers like to speak English most of the time, but I do feel that I have improved. Listening and trying to understand what other people have been saying to me has been the hardest part. At first, I think I was shocked to be hearing German so frequently and so fast that all I really heard were sounds with no distinct meaning. Now, slowly, I feel that I can understand what most people are saying, whether I understand every word or not. I can at least hear the breaks between words and not just sounds. I was honored this past weekend to be asked by a German cashier if I was from the Netherlands because my English was very good, but I was able to speak with her in German as well. As an American in Europe, it felt great to not be automatically figured out as an American or a foreigner and to be mistaken as a European! It can be discouraging when you are trying to speak in German with someone, and as soon as they hear you speak, they detect your accent and start speaking English. So when someone keeps speaking with you in German or when they don’t automatically notice that you are a foreigner, it is a small victory!

Kayaking in Braunschweig

Okercabana: a taste of the coast in Braunschweig city

Prague