Three weeks down!

by Nicholas Adam Anderegg So among other things that have happened in the past two weeks, I've learned that I'm really bad at updating blogs and I think that's just a fact of life that we're all going to have to accept! (Seriously, this New Post tab has been open in...

read more

Arriving in Beijing

by Nicholas Adam Anderegg Arriving in Beijing on Monday was quite a culture shock! Surprisingly, I was not too jet lagged to start with. I think it helps that the time difference between State College and Beijing is exactly 12 hours, and since I didn't get much sleep...

read more

Off to Beijing

by Nicholas Adam Anderegg My name is Nick Anderegg and I will be heading to Beijing on May 11 as part of the PIRE Fellowship.

read more

fNIRS

by Thomas Byron Holt As I wrap up my time here in Beijing, one thing I'm disappointed about is that I didn't get a chance to the ERP portion of my study, mainly due to time constraints and the grad students here not being traind in the same program that we use in the...

read more

Hiking the Great Wall

by Thomas Byron Holt So despite already being in Beijing for several weeks, I hadn't actually been to the Great Wall until last weekend. Part of the reason was that I had been more eager to travel to other parts of China and see other sights in Beijing such as the...

read more

My Chinese

by Thomas Byron Holt Despite only being in China for less than two months, I'm consistently amazed by how much my Chinese has improved in the little time I've been here. When I first got off the plane, I could barely understand my cab driver as I asked him to take me...

read more

Week 3

by Thomas Byron Holt It's really hard to believe that I've been doing research for three weeks already and by next week it'll be July. It feels like my time here is going by too fast and makes me here I could stay here longer and keep doing research. My first week...

read more

Chengdu

by Thomas Byron Holt As I've lived in China these past few weeks, there's two things I've consistently noticed. The first is that my favorite experiences in China haven't been the sights I've seen or the food I've eaten, but the people I've met. Meeting people at the...

read more

Xi’an

by Thomas Byron Holt I had to chosen to visit Xi'an for several reasons. For one, it's the home of the famous Terracotta Warriors. Secondly, it is one of the Four Ancient Capitals of China and as a history major, I was especially interested in checking out this city....

read more

中国…How I’ve missed you.

by Thomas Byron Holt So, I'd like to apologize in advance for making my first blog entry so late. It's just that these past few weeks in China have been amazing. This is the beginning of my third week in Beijing doing research, but actually the fifth week I've been in...

read more

Never a Dull Moment…

by Patrick Joseph Clark Lately, it seems as if the general activity level here in Beijing has increased even further.  The last two weeks have been packed with different tasks, projects, and adventures.  In a true collaborative effort, I have been learning fMRI data...

read more

by Nicole Paige Wasilus Dr. Michael Ullman from the Department of Neuroscience from Georgetown University visited Beijing Normal University last week. I attended his talk entitled "What Rats can tell us about Language: Contributions of Declarative and Procedural...

read more

An Exciting Week

by Patrick Joseph Clark The time since my last post has flown by, due in particular to a very busy schedule. On Wednesday of this past week, Ben and I addressed Prof. Shu and a number of her students at the weekly Wednesday seminar here in "The Little Red Building"...

read more

New Challenges

by Nicole Paige Wasilus Being surrounded by graduate students has allowed me to "play up a level". Although I am still an undergraduate, this program has thrown me into the graduate level world. It feels great to be taking on more responsibility. At Penn State, I gave...

read more

Chinese Culture

by Nicole Paige Wasilus It's now week four and I've had a lot of exposure to Chinese culture and everyday life here. I thought I'd make this blog post for the future PIRE student conducting research at Beijing Normal University (BNU). I've noticed many differences and...

read more

by Patrick Joseph Clark Weekdays here at Beijing Normal University have a fairly consistent pattern - largely filled with doing what I can to adapt my research plans to accommodate another small setback.  Fortunately, with the help of Ben and my new colleagues, I...

read more

Adjustments

by Nicole Paige Wasilus For my research study at Beijing Normal University (BNU), I am replicating tests of knowledge, language processing, executive function and theory of mind that we have used at Penn State. This requires many more changes than simply translating...

read more