Reflection

It has been a bit over a week since I landed back in the Unites States after my adventures in Granada. This last week as given me time to catch up with friends, family, and take time to reflect on this amazing opportunity. As I look back on the past two months I...

read more

As everything comes to an end

This last week has been filled with testing. For my last week of testing I was able to schedule 11 participants. Unfortunately, due to the end of classes and preparing for finals I had 4 last minute cancellations and 1 no show. I still have two more participants...

read more

The Beginning of the End

As I sit here in lab, it dawns on me that this is my last Monday in Granada. I have some mixed feelings, but I'm predominantly sad to be leaving and surprised that this trip went by so quickly. Its hard to believe that just next week I'll be back in my house, sleeping...

read more

FINALLY GETTING INTO THE ALHAMBRA

That's right, I have tickets to go see the actual Alhambra palace tonight at 5:00 and I am super excited! In other news, our presentations on Tuesday went very smoothly. Our audience had very good questions, critiques and comments that shed some light on points where...

read more

Last week in Granada

This could possibly be my last blog post to describe my PIRE experience. I have a lot of mixed emotions about getting ready to leave on Sunday. First, the past 8 weeks absolutely flew by, but if I really think about it I have made so many memories and met so many...

read more

I have been so pleased with the amount of participants I have been able to run these past two weeks. I needed Native Spanish Speakers and L2 Spanish Speakers for my research study and  I was beginning to worry about finding enough L2 speakers. The best way is to...

read more

A quiet weekend in Granada

Rachel and I made a lot of plans for this weekend...and we did none of them. In all seriousness, our lab presentations are tomorrow and we spent the weekend preparing and exploring our city. I´m pretty nervous for this presentation tomorrow, but everyone keeps telling...

read more

Simplicity is key!

My last blog post focused mostly on the cultural experiences and learning I'm having here, but I also wanted to give an update with where I am research-wise! With only one week left to spare, I have finished running my participants- all 43 of them! I have been in...

read more

A weekend in sunny, abandoned Tangiers

My mother came to visit for a few days and we went to Tangiers for the weekend (last weekend? They're blending together) Overall, this city was not what I expected at all. Considering its proximity to Spain (you can literally see the Spanish coastline), I was...

read more

Difficulties breaking #30

As I write this, I am awaiting the arrival of my 30th participant. This news is bittersweet because he actually should have been the 34th. At this point, my research is teaching me a good lesson in patience and people skills. I've never been stood up this repetitively...

read more

We Found a Pool to Escape the Granada Heat

This last week along with the Monday and Tuesday of this week has been filled with testing participants. Although my recent days have consisted of nine to ten hour days in the lab, because each session takes three hours, I am really excited to be testing at a regular...

read more

Learning Experiences

I know this blog post is a little late, but that is because I spent half of last week with my family in Ireland. We had such a great time together and it was wonderful seeing them! Ireland is a very special place for my family and I. We are very Irish and I spent 12...

read more

Sunny Days!

Well I finally understand why dinner is enjoyed so late in the evening here in Granada. This Spanish heat is serious! I am definitely feeling thankful for our landlady for giving us some fans to enjoy in the apartment. I have to give myself a pep talk before I walk...

read more

I had three participants today who cancelled

I am very dissapointed that I did not get to test any participants because today would have marked the big number 30. Now that we´re on the topic, I suppose I should mention how smoothly my experiment has been running. Although there are some differences in the...

read more

Debit card is on the way

In case my readers (my fans, my groupies, etc.) were worried, the Federal Credit Union will be sending a replacement debit card to my house, at which point my father will send it to Spain. So, things are looking up in that arena. In other news, we are concluding week...

read more

Language and Culture

This week, one of the undergraduates from Ponoma College arrived and it has been great getting to know her, showing her around the lab, and welcoming her into our daily routines. Over the past few weeks, I've become quite familiar with the city. It's nice walking...

read more

Corpus Christi Holiday and Celebrations

This past weekend the city of Granada celebrated Corpus Christi –the catholic holiday that honors the body of Christ in the holy water. Although the holiday is celebrated throughout all of Andalucía, it is most famous in Granada since the holiday combined with the...

read more

Corpus Christi and Horses

I feel so lucky to be able to say that I was in Granada, Spain for the celebration of Corpus Christi. What an exciting weekend! Every time we turned around we were seeing, hearing, smelling, or tasting something new. The first thing I noticed was the BEAUTIFUL dresses...

read more

Corpus Christi Celebrations

This week has been all about celebrating Corpus Christi. The energy and enthusiasm is alive and well here in town and I have loved being part of it. The lab was closed on Thursday and Friday because of the holiday, so we took advantage of it by going to the Feria....

read more

We only have one month left?

This was what I asked myself when someone pointed out that I am no longer "here in Spain for two months" anymore. I only have one month left. Almost four weeks have gone by and I can't believe how quick they felt. I'm maneuvering little side streets of Granada,...

read more

Grilled Cheese and the Alhambra

Today I tested my first participant, yay! Although there were a multitude of problems –from a lack of sound connection to the response box not working –I was able to complete the first testing session here in Granada. I definitely would not have been able to get...

read more

Update: They still haven’t let us into the Alhambra

We made it into Generalife and saw the gardens, but that's as far as they let us go. But I'm sure the fourth time will be the charm, right? We also went to the playa at Almunecar (I don't know how to get accents on the PIRE keyboard) on Sunday and got roasted by the...

read more

Into the Groove

Two weeks in and I feel like I have settled into a routine here in Granada. Its nice to feel comfortable with my surroundings and not get completely lost while walking around the city. I feel like a real local now with my bus pass. All I have to do it hop on the bus...

read more

first week in beautiful Granada

Yay! After so much anticipation and preparation throughout the semester we are finally here. I had two days after finishing up my finals to unpack, do a million loads of laundry, and repack for my 8 week adventure. It didn't really seem real that I was really headed...

read more

Travels and the first week

On Tuesday I was leaving home to go to the Philadelphia airport where I would start my Spanish adventure. I was definitely a little nervous but also excited by the novelty of a new country and curiosity of what my research might result in. After saying goodbye to my...

read more

The first few days

I can't believe I've already been here for almost a week! I have been so busy and having fun at the same time which has made this week pass by so quickly. I arrived in Granada last Wednesday and I was so exhausted from the flight. After getting settled and catching up...

read more