This One’s for You. (Passion Post 3)

People don’t realize the extent of what their actions can do to a person’s life. They don’t see the significance behind every move that they make; the implications that lie behind every jeer, every offhand comment.

I’m not painting the human race as an evil, inconsiderate and cruel race, just not a very thoughtful one.

I am writing today from the most tumultuous of standpoints- the bitter mood. One of those outlooks where, no matter which direction you face, there is always some form of hardship or difficulty, and your brain just cannot overcome. And in this mindset, I have been ruminating on my past, my history, every thing that’s ever gone wrong. And frankly, it sucks.

There have been many points in my life where I made a decision that seriously impacted, altered and marred my experiences forthwith. And when I think of these times, the things that really stick out to me- the points I find the most crucial – were the interpersonal reactions of the time. Had that one person reacted differently, had they not made that one deprecating remark, would I be in the same situation I am in today? Would any of us?

The answer is no.

This does not implicate that things would necessarily be better, not by any means. But when situations bear very sour and poisonous fruit in the long run, one can’t help but wonder.

And that leads me to the topic I chose for today.

This is the underlying theme that seeps into everything in this section of my blog. If there’s nothing that you get from reading anything I write at all, at least hear me out on this one aspect.

The way that you treat people – the way you look at them, acknowledge them, and treat them in general – is desperately important. You do not know what that person is going through. You have no idea the hardship that could be behind those eyes. The simplest thing like a smile or a compliment can make or break someone’s day. For real.

Let’s paint an example of such an individual. We’ll call him Randall. He is 5’9, slim, sort of scruffy with shaggy blond hair and eccentric mannerisms. He works as a cashier at an arts and crafts store.

Randall is dealing with very intense financial, family, relationship, scholastic, and emotional problems, and has been getting very depressed. The struggles are bogging him down, to such a point that he’s becoming desperate to just get out. Yet he pins on his nametag, goes to work, and steps behind his register. He is determined that tonight will be a good night, if not for him, then for everyone he meets.

What do you think could be the consequences of people’s actions toward him while in such a volatile state? The people aren’t aware that he is masquerading such pain behind his cheery façade, so they wouldn’t exactly think to be extra kind or more understanding. The implications could be horrendous.

This is, of course, sort of a worst case scenario. But it isn’t at all out of the question or bounds of reason. I have witnessed and dealt with situations like these more times than I wish I could say. I know people suffering cruelly, some beyond the hands of healing, from the way that people have treated them.

So do us all a favor, and please be kind. Think before you act and speak. Don’t let more lives be ruined by thoughtless actions and careless speech.

-P ):

This entry was posted in Passion. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to This One’s for You. (Passion Post 3)

1. link says:

Hey very cool blog!! Man .. Beautiful .. Amazing .. I will bookmark your site and take the feeds also…I am happy to find so many useful information here in the post, we need develop more techniques in this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .

2. I adore reading and I conceive this website got some truly utilitarian stuff on it! .

3. Daniela Chavez Velez says:

I liked the focus you give to the importance of a single act of kindness like a smile. I find that most people will smile back if you smile at them, and I don’t know about them, but getting the smile back helps me feel better, or lighten my mood. So even the most insignificant details are important, never forget them:)