The Intimacy of Rhetoric and Ideology (RCL React 6)

When we first received this assignment, I was perplexed. I always thought I knew the definition of ideology! But for some reason, trying to tie it in with rhetoric had me sitting, mouth agape, staring blankly at my computer screen. So I listened carefully to what Ms. Patia said in class, mulled it over, and dove into our RCL textbook.

I’m actually almost embarrassed to say that it’s really quite simple!

So what exactly is ideology?

Ideology is made up of commonplaces, socially acceptable in their own communal spheres. These sects could be religious, political, geographical, racial – you name it! But it’s the set of common voices or beliefs within that portion of existence.

Really, rhetoric and ideology are wholly linked entities. Without ideology, rhetoric would flounder, like a fish gasping for air in a toxic environment. And without rhetoric, ideology would have no means to stand up for itself.

Let’s say a politician is gearing up for the start of his political campaign. The competition is fierce, so naturally he needs to be on his a-game. Together with his well-paid, expert team, he highlights the main points that he stands behind (his ideologies). They nail down arguments with persuasive, eloquent reasons (rhetoric) as to why the points that his opponents are rooted in (their ideologies) are fallible, incredibly bogus, and harmful to the lives and personal values of the masses.

As the author of “Rhetoric and Civic Life” points out, “Opinions are likely to change when we lose respect for the people who hold them, or when we meet new people whom we like and respect and who have different opinions”. This is our politician’s gambit. If he can successfully tear down the opponent’s defense while playing the hero himself, he is golden. There is strength in numbers. And when a unified, massive whole all decide that something is right and that’s the bottom line, it can be hard- even impossible- to sway them.

This is just one of many possible instances where ideology is key in rhetoric. And I’m very happy to say that I am no longer confused!

This entry was posted in RCL. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to The Intimacy of Rhetoric and Ideology (RCL React 6)

1. This may help guard our Witcher Crazy Hunt Development Pass Get Rule generator.

my homepage https://www.facebook.com/TheWitchers3Hack

2. Esperanza says:

Superior web site I discovered info extremely informative. I come here each of the time and they always deliver great subject material!