Hands.. a Tug at the Heart (Passion Post 15)

Hello again, my friends, and welcome back to our somewhat comprehensive journey with our hands. Again, what this blog is trying to accomplish is to raise awareness of our little friends, and how fortunate we really are to have them. The hands do so much in our everyday lives that it can almost be natural for us to cease acknowledging how wondrous they truly are.

I want to help us recognize their beauty and their usefulness. This post is more reflective and free-thinking as opposed to informative like most of this semester’s posts have been, so just try to bear with me.

I would just like to put this out as a disclaimer: I fully understand that many, if not most, of the handy things we do in our everyday lives can be accomplished without hands. Prosthetics can be attached, and other body parts can learn to compensate in their absence. People can live perfectly happy and functional lives without them.
My purpose is not to put down those who lack hands, but rather to cause those who do have them to appreciate them more fully.

There are just so very many things in our lives that we take for granted or see as a given. We don’t try to do it, but sometimes it just happens. We get so accustomed to something’s presence and reliability that we begin to be blinded to their true novelty and wonder. It isn’t until we are robbed of these everyday blessings that we truly begin to see their worth and beauty, and we realize how lost we really are without them.

And I’m not just talking about hands today. I’m talking about family, about friends new and old. I refer to the bed that you sleep in, the foods that you eat. I mean the lungs within your body, and the heart that pumps your blood.

Any one of these things could vanish in an instant. I don’t say this to cause paranoia, or to feed anxiety, but just to make you stop and think that you may be much better off than you think you are.

We have all had someone give us the “starving children” sort of speech at least one time in each of our lives, and perhaps because of this prevalence it has become a thing that is not taken as seriously as it should be.

It is a horrible fact that there are multitudes of people in the world who are much less fortunate than you are – some who haven’t even the slightest hope of ever getting out of their circumstances. People are riddled with festering diseases, or are trapped in an abusive environment. Some suffer from crippling mental disabilities, from mood disorders to downs syndrome. And the list goes on.

All I want you to take away from this post is that things could always be worse, and that you really should be grateful for the things you’ve been blessed with.

Otherwise, you may find that when you finally open your eyes and realize just how much you’ve taken for granted, your little bird of blessing will have already flown away – out of reach forever.

Love your hands and all that you have, my friends. Until next time.

This entry was posted in Passion. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Hands.. a Tug at the Heart (Passion Post 15)

1. Way cool, some valid points! I appreciate you making this article available, the rest of the site is also high quality. Have a fun.

2. Alicia Marie Van Den Heede says:

With the idea of hands, I cannot imagine not having the opportunity to hold the person I love or scratch their back or rub their back when I hug them. There’s so much to be thankful for in this respect. So many things other people do not get the opportunity to experience. Good post, like the positive-ness.

3. Gabrielle Faith Romeo says:

This post was a very inspiring read. I’ve been fairly stressed this week because I have 3 exams, 2 of which are tomorrow (eek!), and I’ve overall just been down in the dumps. This post reminded me to be thankful for the little things, or even the seemingly unfortunate things (like exams). I’m extremely blessed to have the opportunity to receive higher education, and although sometimes it is difficult, I would not trade this opportunity for the world. Thanks for reminding me to keep a positive attitude!