Category Archives: Uncategorized

GIS UG Meeting Minutes – 9/12/18

Attendees:
B. King, C. Grube, J. Sloan, T. LaLonde, M. Mrsa, D. Meehan,  R. Phillips, J. Vendor, R. Baxter, J. Richendrfer, N. Piekielek, Y. Bodovski, M. Wagner, J. Detwiler, H. Ross, J. Blanford,
GENERAL:
ESRI AGOL AND PSU SSO
  • We were joined by Madelyn Wagner who is from PSU Enterprise IT.
  • Madeyln, Beth King, and Mike Mrsa will be leading the effort to establish a charter for the operation of a single ESRI organizational License for the entire University.  All PSU students, faculty, and staff will be able to log into AGOL using PSU credentials.
  • The Charter is (linked here) on Box and comments are welcome.  If you are currently using AGOL in any capacity, you should read this document.
  • Purpose, set up a sample service to utilize ArcGIS online services.
  • Governance and many other issues need to be worked out.
  • Ryan Baxter is current using SSO in resident undergrad course

GIS UG Meeting Minutes -7/18/18

Attendees: J. Vender, T. LaLonde, M. Mrsa, J. Spayd, J. Detwiler, R. Phillips, C. Grube, C. Brewer, J. Sloan, R. Baxter, D. Goldberg, N. Piekielek

Location: 319 Walker Building

Discussion Items:

-Penn State GIS Day: (Co-sponsored by Penn State University Libraries and Dept. of Geography) Save the Date for speakers and activities on Tues. Nov. 13th

-Highlights from those who attended the Esri Users Conference:  More programs as part of the education showcase, Other highlights included ArcGIS Urban, ArcGIS for Indoors, and ArcGIS and BIM workflows

New graduate certificate in the Online Geospatial program, graduate certificate in geospatial programming and web map development

-Updates from Mike Mrsa: Renewal of Esri site license, Single Sign on for ArcGIS Online Organizational account (Teaching and Research): future meeting with main stakeholders to discuss user roles, credits, grouping, best practices. Some brief discussion on current users, migrating users, migrating data of user accounts, sharing among organizational groups, and current accounts.

-Campus Bird: Some attended meeting on current activities
-OPP:  Colin Grube, new to the OPP team, working on fieldwork activities, Older Trimble units will be given to the Library for future lending. Some discussion of non-Trimble products in terms of whether anyone had experience with these.
Other Discussion Items: 
-Any information on Penn State and  Amazon Cloud team (other IT contact)
-Use of Esri and/or other Penn State software in other countries
-Virtuality of ArcGIS Pro and/or inclusion in the Penn State Web Apps (other contact for this site, TLT)
-Inclusion in the public computer profile (other IT contact)
-Center for Maps and Geospatial Information: a staff member’s retirement may enable new position to be created, interest ideas pass along to Nathan.
Next GIS users meeting: ~6weeks from now (week of August 27th)
-Suggestion of a Doodle Poll for determining availability for scheduling

GIS UG Meeting Minutes – 5/30/18

Attendees: C. Andris, T. LaLonde, M. Mrsa, D. Meehan,  R. Phillips, D. Goldberg, J. Vendor, R. Baxter, J. Richendrfer, N. Piekielek, Y. Bodovski.
GENERAL:
  • In an effort to better establish ourselves in the campus community, we are currently accepting all suggestions on a mission statement for this group.
  • D. Goldberg recently attended the Tech Plus Conference, an AEC expo that was in NYC in May. They talked a lot about using BIM to create “digital twin” models of buildings to simulate changes or updates to the buildings.
  • Again the topic of trying to get an ArcGIS Server instance up and running for general use came up.
  • J. Richendrfer from OPP will give a brief talk in the next UG meeting.
FORM AN OFFICIAL COMMITTEE?
  • A big topic of conversation was how to make this group more official.
  • There was a GIS Council that disbanded a few years back.  Plenty of lessons learned.
  • Do we form a smaller council/committee/working group that has more community buy-in?
  • Discussions on-going, input welcome.
CAMPUS MAP:
  • Campus map has been updated and is live.  Has many different views and sets of data available.
  • ADA information is not very accurate as this data is maintained in CAD, not GIS, and has not been updated recently.
  • Maps are representing static information, not tied to GIS data as originally intended.
GIS Day, November 13th 2018:
  • Tara La Londe (TLL38) is again leading the effort to plan the 2018 PSU GIS Day events.  Please reach out to her if you’re interested in helping out.
  • Our will take place on Tuesday, November 13th.  HACC event will be Wednesday the 14th.
  • Events will be: Technology Demo, Lightning Talks, Keynotes, and Networking Reception.
YOUTH MAPPERS GROUP:
  • C. Andris spoke about a new group on campus that will focus on Open Street Map and humanitarian issues.
  • Undergrad GIS Coalition is part of this.  Will hold 2 Map-a-Thons per year.
  • They are looking for guest speakers.

There will be a GIS HH on Thursday, 4PM at Champs Downtown.

Next GIS UG meeting will be July 18th at 10AM in Walker Building.

GIS UG Meeting Minutes – 4/19/18

Attendees: R. Baxter, R. Phillips, N. Piekielek, M. Mrsa, H. Ross, T. LaLonde, D. Meehan. Y. Bodovski, B. King.
GENERAL: 
  • ESRI passes for the 2018 International Users Conference are being worked out by Beth King from Dutton Institute.
  • R. Baxter updated the instructions on the website for requesting licenses.  This goes for instructors using licenses in courses and faculty/staff that need tools for daily tasks.  Please visit : http://sites.psu.edu/psugis/technology/how-to-acquire-arcmap-and-arcgis-pro/ and let us know if you have any feedback.
  • The brand new campus map is live!
  • Dan Meehan gave a brief talk about the Geodesign Program.
  • The annual PA GIS Conference is May 14-16 at the Penn Stater Conference Center in State College.  
The next  meeting will be Wednesday, May 30th in the Stuckeman Family Building.

GIS UG Meeting Minutes – 3/1/18

Attendees: Y. Bodovski,  T. LaLonde, R. Phillips, C. Brewer, J. Vendor, B. King, N. Piekielek, R. Baxter

General:

  • Discussion and feedback on process for students, staff, and faculty access to ESRI software
  • Discussion on other interested geospatial softwares by students, staff, faculty, and/or used in classes
  • Discussion on ArcGIS Online organizational accounts on campus including new one in Agriculture
  • Indication of new Geography course versions
  • New Hire in OPP working on field collection
  • New Visitor Map coming soon
  • Future discussion of meeting and dates to keep in mind, as in AAG conference is the week of April 9-13.

GIS UG Meeting Minutes – 1/18/18

Attendees: Y. Bodovski, H. Ross, C. Andris, J. Spayd, T. LaLonde, M. Mrsa, D. Meehan,  R. Phillips, L. Goldberg, C. Brewer, J. Vendor.
GENERAL:
  • We spoke briefly about how AGOL accounts are setup for students.  Some BMPs need to be developed for this.
  • OPP is in the process of hiring a new GIS Analyst
  • We decided to keep a formal meeting at about every 6 weeks.  Next UG meeting will be March 1st at 10AM.  Location TBD.
  • We will have a less formal HH every 6 weeks in between the formal meetings.  First HH of 2018 will be Feb 6th, 4PM at Whiskers.
SPRING UNDERGRAD CAREER FAIR:
  • Esri representatives will be on campus for the Spring Career Fair.
  • PSU Spring Career Days: MonTues, Feb 5-6, 11-4 at Bryce Jordan Center
  • Esri info session: Mon Feb 5, 5:45-7:45 in 229 Walker
  • Career discussion with GEOG 390 class (others welcome to attend!): Wed Feb 7, 4-5:15 p.m. in 105 Walker
CAMPUS MAP 
  • C. Brewer did a demo of the current state.
  • Unfortunately, the SketchUp building models can’t be shared as that wasn’t written into the contract.
  • Penn Bay is using OPP GIS data but CityBird is not.
  • It is unclear how special request maps that the Gould Center has created in the past will be handled going forward.

GIS UG Meeting Minutes – 10/3/17

Attendees: Y. Bodovski, H. Ross, G. Miller (esri), R. Waddel (esri), C. Andris, J. Spayd, R. Baxter, T. LaLonde, N. Piekielek, M. Mrsa, D. Meehan,  R. Phillips, J. Richendrfer. B. King.
GENERAL:
  • Do we need a dedicated ArcGIS server for general PSU use?
ESRI REPRESENTATIVES:
  • Ridge Waddel and Geri Miller are in from the ESRI Philadelphia office to introduce themselves and give an update.
  • They are looking to add new disciplines to their support coverage.
  • Looking at Management Information Systems (MIS), data analytics and big data.
  • InCommon is needed to get single-sign-on for PSU
ESRI ENTERPRISE LICENSE AGREEMENT: 
  • Licenses were auto renewed at the end of September 2017.
  • Website is up to date and current.  Advanced licenses are $0.
  • Named users can be easily adjusted.
  • ArcGIS Server is now wrapped under Enterprise
  • With server: real-time, big data, raster analytics, networking, hosting.
  • Professional Services offer a hosted services option for cost.

ESRI Talk & Workshop

ESRI Talk and Workshop

Esri representatives will be on campus on Monday, October 2nd. They will be providing updates on ArcGIS Pro, Esri Insights, and giving a hands-on workshop for mobile application development. This will take place in 302 Paterno. You don not need to commit to attending the entire workshop.

AGENDA:
- ArcGIS Platform (9-10am) This part will be broadcast via ZOOM: https://psu.zoom.us/j/566280643
- Insights for ArcGIS (10:15-12noon)
- Esri Mobile Field Apps (1pm-5pm)

All attendees must sign up as spots are limited. Please enter the required information below.

REQUIRED FOR ALL ATTENDEES:
• Mobile Device or tablet with internet connectivity.
• A user account on the main Penn State ArcGIS Online Organizational
account (if you don't have one, one will be provided for you).
• There are only 35 desktop computers in this lab and they will be filled on a first come, first served basis. We encourage you to bring your own laptop.

First
Last
Additional information.
Sending

 

OVERVIEW:

ArcGIS Platform: In this session we’ll discuss the ArcGIS Platform and how it can be used to deploy the Web GIS pattern – both in the cloud and in your own infrastructure. The ArcGIS software product portfolio will be presented in context of the overall platform, as well as how they integrate and work together. Concepts such as the geoinformation model, the web map, and web scenes will also be discussed.

Insights for ArcGIS: In this hands-on session we’ll explore the Insights for ArcGIS app – a new app which enables iterative and exploratory analysis of your spatial or non-spatial data. Insights provides an intuitive technology with a simple drag-and-drop UI, which enables information to be easily extracted from your data. We will learn about the various data sources we can utilize with Insights, and the possibilities that are available for analyzing this data. The deployment options for Insights for ArcGIS will be discussed as well.

Details:
– Visualize data through interactive maps, charts and tables
– Conduct spatial analytics to answer questions of your data
– Share your results with others

Esri Mobile Field Apps hands-on workshop: This is a practical hands-on session where you will learn about Esri’s mobile field Apps strategy. An overview will be presented, followed by a discussion on the detailed workflow to perform data collection in the field. You will learn how to leverage ArcGIS Online to create a hosted feature layer, then use Collector for ArcGIS to collect map-centric field data. Next, you will use Survey123 for ArcGIS to collect form-centric field data. Participants will perform these tasks and “play” with the software. After performing data collection in the field, you will be shown options on how to present your data results using the configurable application templates and Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS.

Details:
– Create a new hosted feature service in ArcGIS Online, based on a template
– Collect field data with Collector for ArcGIS: point, line, polygon – based on map data
– Create a survey form with Survey123 for ArcGIS web designer, will be shown Survey123 Connect
– Collect field data with Survey123 for ArcGIS – a form based field data collector
– See how the field data can be “presented” in a web app, with the configurable app templates and Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS

GIS UG Meeting Minutes – 9/13/17

Attendees: T. LaLonde, D. Goldberg, P. Garbini, M. Mrsa, C. Smith, J. Richendrfer, J. Vendor, C. Brewer, D. Meehan, N. Piekielek.
 
GENERAL:
  • Next meeting will be October 3rd, 10AM in 103 Stuckeman Family Building
  • Esri will be on campus October 2nd for a free workshop.
  • New imagery and LIDAR is available.  Contact OPP if interested.
  • PSU GIS Coalition is active again.  
ESRI CAMPUS VISIT – TALK AND HANDS-ON DEMO:
  • ELA – New contract new terms, still in purchasing, should be done by end of September.
  • A registration form will be created to handle signups.
  • Location of the event: 302 Paterno.
  • BYO Mobile Device and Laptop.  Device required, laptop not.
  • More information will be shared ASAP.
ESRI ELA:
  • ELA – New contract new terms, still in purchasing, should be done by end of September.
  • Notices will go out to people that purchased last year.
  • Renews still through the license site, but no cost.
  • Pro is distributed through AGOL, enabled by admins.
  • If you need more than 100 licenses per org, let Mike Mrsa know.
  • Is it possible to get a centralized login.  Talks have been ongoing.
  • Do we need something in place that defines what the tech rep is, what the position entails?
GIS DAY:
  • Tara LaLonde provides updates 
  • Charlie Fitzpatrick from Esri Education will be a highlighted speaker.
  • Lots of folks are interested in lightning talks but slots still available.
  • Posters can be contributed, please contact Tara: TLL38@PSU.DU.

 

CAMPUS MAP UPDATES:
  • Campus Bird contract has been signed.
  • There are ongoing meetings, inquire to Pam Garbini (PWG3@PSU.EDU) if interested.
  • Strategic Communications Office & Enterprise IT are the two executive leads on this project.
  • There will be two map coordinators for campus.

GIS UG Meeting Minutes – 5/24/17

Attendees:  D. Goldberg, T. LaLonde, A. Santos, P. Garbini, E. Gowen, R. Phillips, R. Baxter, Y. Bodovski, J. Vender, H. Ross, N. Piekielek,
GENERAL:
  • Next meeting will be July 18.  Pickles Tap Room
  • Campus was flown in April.  Leaf Off, .15 foot resolution
  • LIDAR was flown too.
  • Will be available this summer on PASDA
ESRI:
  • Talked about the technical representatives and how the relate to UC passes
  • Who are all of the tech contacts?  How many do we have?
  • ESRI tech reps need to be held accountable.  Free pass means you have to complete XYZ.
  • Esri contacts were on campus a few weeks back. We have new higher ed reps who are eager to help out.
  • Contact info will be provided.
FACILITIES MAPPING:
  • Penn Bay is working on facility data. Using In-vision.
  • Lots of issues with location IDs and the naming schema, which will be changed.
    Building number is the unique ID.
    • LionPath is driving this because of schema issues.
    • Major facility information updates are tedious and holding things up.
    • There is an effort to include outdoor spaces in the system.
  • Campus Bird is in purchasing.
    • They will be done in a few months.  Open street map in process.
GIS DAY:
  • Geography of Civil Rights movements is the theme for this year.
  • General Plan:
    • Hoping to move to Friday of geography awareness week
    • Reception at the EMS gallery
    • Geog coffee hour in Walker building.
    • Lighting talks can still happen in Foster Auditorium.
  • Who is the audience?  Students, anyone who is interested in using GIS.
  • Community building and outreach are our goals.
  • How can we attract new people to the community?
    • Low cost way of seeing what GIS is, or how it can be used.
  • Market as something other than GIS day?
    • Rebrand GIS day?  Drones, big data, data visualization?