- Next meeting will be October 3rd, 10AM in 103 Stuckeman Family Building
- Esri will be on campus October 2nd for a free workshop.
- New imagery and LIDAR is available. Contact OPP if interested.
- PSU GIS Coalition is active again.
ELA – New contract new terms, still in purchasing, should be done by end of September.
A registration form will be created to handle signups.
Location of the event: 302 Paterno.
BYO Mobile Device and Laptop. Device required, laptop not.
More information will be shared ASAP.
ELA – New contract new terms, still in purchasing, should be done by end of September.
Notices will go out to people that purchased last year.
Renews still through the license site, but no cost.
Pro is distributed through AGOL, enabled by admins.
If you need more than 100 licenses per org, let Mike Mrsa know.
Is it possible to get a centralized login. Talks have been ongoing.
Do we need something in place that defines what the tech rep is, what the position entails?
Tara LaLonde provides updates
Charlie Fitzpatrick from Esri Education will be a highlighted speaker.
Lots of folks are interested in lightning talks but slots still available.
Posters can be contributed, please contact Tara: TLL38@PSU.DU.
Campus Bird contract has been signed.
There are ongoing meetings, inquire to Pam Garbini (PWG3@PSU.EDU) if interested.
Strategic Communications Office & Enterprise IT are the two executive leads on this project.
- There will be two map coordinators for campus.
- Next meeting will be July 18. Pickles Tap Room
- Campus was flown in April. Leaf Off, .15 foot resolution
- LIDAR was flown too.
- Will be available this summer on PASDA
- Talked about the technical representatives and how the relate to UC passes
- Who are all of the tech contacts? How many do we have?
- ESRI tech reps need to be held accountable. Free pass means you have to complete XYZ.
- Esri contacts were on campus a few weeks back. We have new higher ed reps who are eager to help out.
- Contact info will be provided.
- Penn Bay is working on facility data. Using In-vision.
Lots of issues with location IDs and the naming schema, which will be changed.Building number is the unique ID.
- LionPath is driving this because of schema issues.
- Major facility information updates are tedious and holding things up.
- There is an effort to include outdoor spaces in the system.
- Campus Bird is in purchasing.
- They will be done in a few months. Open street map in process.
- Geography of Civil Rights movements is the theme for this year.
- General Plan:
- Hoping to move to Friday of geography awareness week
- Reception at the EMS gallery
- Geog coffee hour in Walker building.
- Lighting talks can still happen in Foster Auditorium.
- Who is the audience? Students, anyone who is interested in using GIS.
- Community building and outreach are our goals.
- How can we attract new people to the community?
- Low cost way of seeing what GIS is, or how it can be used.
- Market as something other than GIS day?
- Rebrand GIS day? Drones, big data, data visualization?
- All are encouraged to tell friends and colleagues about this group
- Next meeting May 24. 10AM. Stuckeman Family Building
- Actual GIS day is November 15th, 2017.
- Talked about moving PSU GIS Day so people can participate in other events.
- Need to have quality giveaways
- Need more professors to incentivize it
- There will not be booths this year
- What groups can we get involved?
- Student groups?
- We would like to get a job description together for a Gould Intern to handle aspects of this day.
- Summer thru the Fall position.
- Letters will go out to different units in the coming weeks
- Desktop licenses and other software will be minimally priced
- Students can get licenses for free
- Next Meeting – April 11th, Mad-Mex 330PM
Talked about standing up an ArcGIS Server instance that could serve multiple entities
Is it possible to collaborate together to buy server(s)?
Are there any existing VM instances that we can use?
- Details of new ELA are being worked out
- Majority of cost will be covered by larger units in 5-year contract
New goal is to not inhibit users
- Penn Bay (Esri partner) will be replacing the current space inventory system
- Eventually all spaces will be connected to a master schedule/calendar
- Campus Bird visitor maps will move forward after PB work gets started
- We are looking for ideas on how to improve GIS day and draw more people in
- The next GIS UG meeting will focus on how we can work together to improve the day
- What ideas do people have about speakers
- Who would you like to see speak?
- Build a vision and then decide how it will be planned out
- Is it possible to put out a survey to those who came?
- Should we have a sign up?
- Make the networking a happy hour?
- Chris Capelli (Esri) was here in October and met with various groups.
- GEOG006 – New course based on Mapping Revolution MOOC.
- Main purpose is to get folks into the GI-Science majors.
- GEOG is working on developing an online Associates and Bachelors Degree.
- Movement to start advanced high school AP course for GIS and T. GEOG working on it.
Things are are in place and ready.
- Info and schedule can be found here: http://sites.psu.edu/gisday/
- Jodi Vender will be going to Harrisburg for their GIS day events on Wednesday.
- Mike Mrsa. Met with Chris Capelli of Esri about ELA.
- Potential new agreement would try and spread costs of agreement among departments.
- Costs would be reduced for faculty/staff.
- ArcGIS Online could be behind SSO.
- What happens to computer labs?
- Beth King, Mike Mrsa, main POCs for this effort.
- Chris Capelli (esri) is coming October 7th. Meeting with Dr. Brewer’s students as well as others.
Ryan Baxter Updated on the PA State Legislature Geospatial Board.
- PASDA is part of the talk and it’s Chaired by state CIO
- This is an Open meeting.
- PASDA is Celebrating 20 years!
Library got Digital Sanborn Maps Geo Edition. Digital Sanborn maps for cities outside of PA.
Parents weekend is October 15th. There will be an alumni career panel and networking session as well as an APG meeting. This website has more information.
- The next NAICS meeting is happening on October 19-22nd in Colorado Springs, CO. This years “Practical Cartography Day” will be streamed live for members.
- The Call for Papers is out for the 2017 Esri UC.
- The 28th International Catrographic Conference will take place in Washington DC on July 2-7th, 2017. Deadline for abstracts is October 26th.
- PennBay and Concept 3d (Campus Bird) will be here for Campus Map meetings on October 12 – 13. Folks who are interested in participating should reach out to Barb Dulclos (BJD19@psu.edu).
- Site license has been renewed and we will need to come up with a plan for how ArGIS online Organizational Accounts will be handled and distributed.
- How do we determine how organizational accounts will be broken out?
- How many users for each account?
- How are classes handled?
- How does this all tie into desktop licensing and ArcGIS Pro?
- Mike Mrsa will be pulling a group together to discuss this. Policy needs to be defined.
- Updated user agreements will go out to current users next month.
- Plans are coming together for the events on November 14th and 15th.
- Folks from Blue Raster will be giving the Keynote speech.
- There will be information booths, career panel, keynotes speakers and lightning talks.
- There will be drawing for a gift certificate and a networking reception on Monday 5-630PM.
Attendees: Baxter, Beekman, K. Prescot, Andris, King, La Londe, Meehan, Vender, D. Howard, Mrsa, Brewer.
- Clio Andris will be teaching a residential GIS course this Fall. GIS Skills for Research, GEOG 565.
- Ms. Deb Howard (Facilities Resources & Planning) spoke about the on-going projects to create a visitor’s map as well as update the Facilities information Systems that is house in OPP. Anyone interested in participating in these conversations is encouraged to contact Deb (email@example.com)
- Group keeps track of all campus space this PSU owns, this includes Real Estate.
- All floor plans are in CAD
- System is over 15 years old (Oracle) and needs to be updated.
- Multiple systems and platforms need to be brought together.
- Goal is to bring in all maps associated.
- Teams (Campus Bird and PennBay) are coming in October for additional meetings.
- Do we have any volunteers for a talk in the next meeting?
- Tara La Londe provided an update on GIS day, November 14-15.
- Blue Raster is interested in providing feedback to faculty/instructors from a recruiting standpoint.
- GIS Day Highlights include:
- Events both Monday and Tuesday
- Networking lunch
- Career Panel
Next Meeting is Tuesday, September 27th, at 1030AM in the Mann Assembly Room, Paterno Library.
Welcome to Sites At Penn State. This is your first post. Edit or delete it, then start blogging!