Attendees: C. Andris, T. LaLonde, M. Mrsa, D. Meehan, R. Phillips, D. Goldberg, J. Vendor, R. Baxter, J. Richendrfer, N. Piekielek, Y. Bodovski.
- In an effort to better establish ourselves in the campus community, we are currently accepting all suggestions on a mission statement for this group.
- D. Goldberg recently attended the Tech Plus Conference, an AEC expo that was in NYC in May. They talked a lot about using BIM to create “digital twin” models of buildings to simulate changes or updates to the buildings.
- Again the topic of trying to get an ArcGIS Server instance up and running for general use came up.
- J. Richendrfer from OPP will give a brief talk in the next UG meeting.
FORM AN OFFICIAL COMMITTEE?
- A big topic of conversation was how to make this group more official.
- There was a GIS Council that disbanded a few years back. Plenty of lessons learned.
- Do we form a smaller council/committee/working group that has more community buy-in?
- Discussions on-going, input welcome.
- Campus map has been updated and is live. Has many different views and sets of data available.
- ADA information is not very accurate as this data is maintained in CAD, not GIS, and has not been updated recently.
- Maps are representing static information, not tied to GIS data as originally intended.
GIS Day, November 13th 2018:
- Tara La Londe (TLL38) is again leading the effort to plan the 2018 PSU GIS Day events. Please reach out to her if you’re interested in helping out.
- Our will take place on Tuesday, November 13th. HACC event will be Wednesday the 14th.
- Events will be: Technology Demo, Lightning Talks, Keynotes, and Networking Reception.
YOUTH MAPPERS GROUP:
- C. Andris spoke about a new group on campus that will focus on Open Street Map and humanitarian issues.
- Undergrad GIS Coalition is part of this. Will hold 2 Map-a-Thons per year.
- They are looking for guest speakers.
There will be a GIS HH on Thursday, 4PM at Champs Downtown.
Next GIS UG meeting will be July 18th at 10AM in Walker Building.
Attendees: R. Baxter, R. Phillips, N. Piekielek, M. Mrsa, H. Ross, T. LaLonde, D. Meehan. Y. Bodovski, B. King.
- ESRI passes for the 2018 International Users Conference are being worked out by Beth King from Dutton Institute.
- R. Baxter updated the instructions on the website for requesting licenses. This goes for instructors using licenses in courses and faculty/staff that need tools for daily tasks. Please visit : http://sites.psu.edu/psugis/technology/how-to-acquire-arcmap-and-arcgis-pro/ and let us know if you have any feedback.
- The brand new campus map is live!
- Dan Meehan gave a brief talk about the Geodesign Program.
- The annual PA GIS Conference is May 14-16 at the Penn Stater Conference Center in State College.
The next meeting will be Wednesday, May 30th in the Stuckeman Family Building.
Attendees: Y. Bodovski, T. LaLonde, R. Phillips, C. Brewer, J. Vendor, B. King, N. Piekielek, R. Baxter
- Discussion and feedback on process for students, staff, and faculty access to ESRI software
- Discussion on other interested geospatial softwares by students, staff, faculty, and/or used in classes
- Discussion on ArcGIS Online organizational accounts on campus including new one in Agriculture
- Indication of new Geography course versions
- New Hire in OPP working on field collection
- New Visitor Map coming soon
- Future discussion of meeting and dates to keep in mind, as in AAG conference is the week of April 9-13.
Attendees: Y. Bodovski, H. Ross, C. Andris, J. Spayd, T. LaLonde, M. Mrsa, D. Meehan, R. Phillips, L. Goldberg, C. Brewer, J. Vendor.
- We spoke briefly about how AGOL accounts are setup for students. Some BMPs need to be developed for this.
- OPP is in the process of hiring a new GIS Analyst
- We decided to keep a formal meeting at about every 6 weeks. Next UG meeting will be March 1st at 10AM. Location TBD.
- We will have a less formal HH every 6 weeks in between the formal meetings. First HH of 2018 will be Feb 6th, 4PM at Whiskers.
SPRING UNDERGRAD CAREER FAIR:
- Esri representatives will be on campus for the Spring Career Fair.
- PSU Spring Career Days: Mon–Tues, Feb 5-6, 11-4 at Bryce Jordan Center
- Esri info session: Mon Feb 5, 5:45-7:45 in 229 Walker
- Career discussion with GEOG 390 class (others welcome to attend!): Wed Feb 7, 4-5:15 p.m. in 105 Walker
Attendees: Y. Bodovski, H. Ross, G. Miller (esri), R. Waddel (esri), C. Andris, J. Spayd, R. Baxter, T. LaLonde, N. Piekielek, M. Mrsa, D. Meehan, R. Phillips, J. Richendrfer. B. King.
- Do we need a dedicated ArcGIS server for general PSU use?
- Ridge Waddel and Geri Miller are in from the ESRI Philadelphia office to introduce themselves and give an update.
- They are looking to add new disciplines to their support coverage.
- Looking at Management Information Systems (MIS), data analytics and big data.
- InCommon is needed to get single-sign-on for PSU
ESRI ENTERPRISE LICENSE AGREEMENT:
- Licenses were auto renewed at the end of September 2017.
- Website is up to date and current. Advanced licenses are $0.
- Named users can be easily adjusted.
- ArcGIS Server is now wrapped under Enterprise
- With server: real-time, big data, raster analytics, networking, hosting.
- Professional Services offer a hosted services option for cost.
ArcGIS Platform: In this session we’ll discuss the ArcGIS Platform and how it can be used to deploy the Web GIS pattern – both in the cloud and in your own infrastructure. The ArcGIS software product portfolio will be presented in context of the overall platform, as well as how they integrate and work together. Concepts such as the geoinformation model, the web map, and web scenes will also be discussed.
Insights for ArcGIS: In this hands-on session we’ll explore the Insights for ArcGIS app – a new app which enables iterative and exploratory analysis of your spatial or non-spatial data. Insights provides an intuitive technology with a simple drag-and-drop UI, which enables information to be easily extracted from your data. We will learn about the various data sources we can utilize with Insights, and the possibilities that are available for analyzing this data. The deployment options for Insights for ArcGIS will be discussed as well.
– Visualize data through interactive maps, charts and tables
– Conduct spatial analytics to answer questions of your data
– Share your results with others
Esri Mobile Field Apps hands-on workshop: This is a practical hands-on session where you will learn about Esri’s mobile field Apps strategy. An overview will be presented, followed by a discussion on the detailed workflow to perform data collection in the field. You will learn how to leverage ArcGIS Online to create a hosted feature layer, then use Collector for ArcGIS to collect map-centric field data. Next, you will use Survey123 for ArcGIS to collect form-centric field data. Participants will perform these tasks and “play” with the software. After performing data collection in the field, you will be shown options on how to present your data results using the configurable application templates and Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS.
– Create a new hosted feature service in ArcGIS Online, based on a template
– Collect field data with Collector for ArcGIS: point, line, polygon – based on map data
– Create a survey form with Survey123 for ArcGIS web designer, will be shown Survey123 Connect
– Collect field data with Survey123 for ArcGIS – a form based field data collector
– See how the field data can be “presented” in a web app, with the configurable app templates and Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS
Attendees: Mrsa, Gowen, King, Baxter, LaLonde, Ross, Vender, Meehan.
- All are encouraged to tell friends and colleagues about this group
- Next meeting May 24. 10AM. Stuckeman Family Building
- Actual GIS day is November 15th, 2017.
- Talked about moving PSU GIS Day so people can participate in other events.
- Need to have quality giveaways
- Need more professors to incentivize it
- There will not be booths this year
- What groups can we get involved?
- We would like to get a job description together for a Gould Intern to handle aspects of this day.
- Summer thru the Fall position.
- Letters will go out to different units in the coming weeks
- Desktop licenses and other software will be minimally priced
- Students can get licenses for free
Attendees: D. Howard, Y. Bodovski, H. Ross, B. King, D. Meehan, N. Piekielek, M. Zeiders, R. Baxter, J. Richendrfer, R. Philips, M. Mrsa, P. Garbini.
- Next Meeting – April 11th, Mad-Mex 330PM
Talked about standing up an ArcGIS Server instance that could serve multiple entities
Is it possible to collaborate together to buy server(s)?
Are there any existing VM instances that we can use?
Esri Enterprise License Agreement:
Space Planning & Management and Campus Map:
- Penn Bay (Esri partner) will be replacing the current space inventory system
- Eventually all spaces will be connected to a master schedule/calendar
- Campus Bird visitor maps will move forward after PB work gets started
- We are looking for ideas on how to improve GIS day and draw more people in
- The next GIS UG meeting will focus on how we can work together to improve the day
- What ideas do people have about speakers
- Who would you like to see speak?
- Build a vision and then decide how it will be planned out
- Is it possible to put out a survey to those who came?
- Should we have a sign up?
- Make the networking a happy hour?