“We Know You Are Busy and Wanted to Avoid Burdening You With This” — More Techniques that Undermine Shared Governance in the Contemporary University

I have been considering the ways in which administrators undermine shared governance in effect without appearing to challenge the forms by which it is undertaken. Undermining shared governance rather than challenging the authority of faculty to engaged in shared governance avoids the politically costly effort to eliminate formal structures (and the discussions it might require). More importantly, it preserves faculty as a tool, a resource, for governance without having to acknowledge any governance authority beyond those wielded by administrators. One uses tools; one negotiates with governance partners.

I have posted thoughts of my list of the top ten techniques that administrations currently have deployed to undermine shared governance (“You Don’t Have the Authority”: Counting Down the Top Ten Techniques that Undermine University Shared Governance). I added a shorter list of honorable mentions (“We Abhor Retaliation But Expect Loyalty to Our Decisions” — Techniques that Undermine University Shared Governance, the Honorable Mentions and the Deeper Issues they Reveal). I noted then:

That the techniques are not necessarily developed to subvert shared governance for its own sake hardly absolves an administration that on the one hand heralds its embrace of shared governance and on the other engages in radical industry transforming actions that enhance structures in which faculty become “knowledge workers” on an assembly line the principal purpose of which seems to be the “production” of units (students) ready fr insertion in labor markets at a level commensurate with the reputation of the university itself. (Ibid.)

This post adds to the list of honorable mentions of techniques that did not make the original two lists. They are the synthesized expression of experiences from a number of different institutions.

1. “We Know You Are Busy and Wanted to Avoid Burdening You With This.”
2. The Absent Administrator and Ghosting the Faculty Organization .
3. “We promise to get that information to you right away.”

I will continue adding to the list, please send me additional techniques I might have missed (and perhaps prudently via personal email from a non-university computer using non-university provided internet service.

Read more »
http://lcbpsusenate.blogspot.com/2016/10/we-know-you-are-busy-and-wanted-to.html