Controlled Observations

Leah Ramos

Psych 256

9/10/14

The Marshmallow Experiment

In relation to controlled observations which was covered in the first week’s lesson I stumbled across an interesting marshmallow experiment conducted in the sixties by a Stanford University Professor Walter Mischel. His marshmallow experiment was conducted in a small closet like room in the Bing Nursery inside the university. One participant Carolyn Weisz, a four year old at the time, was asked to sit in the chair in the room and select a treat from the group presented, she selected marshmallows. The Professor then instructed Carolyn that she could have one marshmallow now by ringing the bell on the desk or wait until he left the room and returned fifteen minutes later, then she would be rewarded with two marshmallows. The experiment was to identify the mental processes that allowed some people to postpone gratification while others simply surrendered. After years of research, testing and gathering information from the experiment, Mr. Mischel’s experiment provided very revealing information about the candidates involved.

In order to more thoroughly understand Mischels experiment one must first comprehend what entails a controlled observation and experiment. Controlled observations are what allow the researchers to establish more control over the situations. Participants are selected according to preference of what is to be observed or tested, for example, participants selected for this experiment had to specifically be children of the age of four. The observations are conducted in real situations, however, the researcher tries to influence the procedure, for instance in this experiment the professor offers a chance for a double treat. By doing this it allows the researcher to draw stronger conclusions based upon the actions of the participants and test a definite hypothesis.

Now, referring back to little Carolyn, she proved to be one of the very few children who showed some will power. Carolyn was one of the few children of the six hundred and fifty who was able to distract herself and hold out until the professor came back, so that she would be rewarded with two marshmallows. Professor Mischel published a few papers concluding the results of his observations at the Bing Nursery, but he moved on. Every couple of years he would ask his young daughters, who participated in the test, along with many of their childhood friends, how the kids were doing in school, the ones whom had taken part in the Marshmallow test. He soon realized that the children struggling with behavior and academic problems were the ones who did not delay, but caved and ate the marshmallow right away.

Mischel reopened his studies concerning the marshmallow test and sent out questionnaires to all the parents of the youths involved in the test, most of which were now in high school. After analyzing all the results he indeed found a strong correlation between the youth that had not waited for the marshmallow and now seemed to be struggling later in high school. Many of the children’s parents had reported that they suffered from behavior problems at home/school, low SAT scores, trouble paying attention, and could not handle stressful situations of any kind. However, on the opposite side, children such as Carolyn had on average SAT test scores that were 210 points higher, they also had more positive attitudes, and did very well in school (Lehrer, 2009). Mischel and his associates also went on to further these studies even concluding that those that could not hold out, but succumbed also later in life had higher Body Mass Index and more problems with drug and alcohol abuse.

I found this experiment to be very insightful and interesting. Never imagined that something as simple as this waiting or not waiting for a marshmallow, could reveal so much about the mentality and future of these children. It can best be summed up by his own comments, “What we’re really measuring with the marshmallows isn’t will power or self-control,” Mischel says. “It’s much more important than that. This task forces kids to find a way to make the situation work for them. They want the second marshmallow, but how can they get it? We can’t control the world, but we can control how we think about it (Lehrer, 2009). ” So if we have patience and will power, it will pay off in the end.

Lehrer, J. (2009, May 18). Don’t! The Secret of Self Control. Retrieved from http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2009/05/18/dont-2

One thought on “Controlled Observations

1. tms5869

Impulse control is important and I do think that learning to control your impulses starts at a young age. I read about this marshmallow experiment in another psychology class that and I found it very interesting that the children that ate the marshmallows had more problems later in life. This makes me wonder if impulse control is something learned or something inherited.

I know for myself that impulse related problems such as drug and alcohol addiction, and gambling run in my family. My mother, uncle, grandparents, and great uncles all have problems with it. When I was younger I had some problems as well. Did I learn these behaviors because I saw family members doing it? Or was there something wrong with my brain, something that could have been passed down like a gene?