Dude, Where’s My Car?

No matter how we define memory, we all know how important it is to us. In fact, try to imagine how difficult life would be without memory. Sometimes forgetting might actually be simpler but alas, where would we be without our memory? For example, memory provides the basis for learning the information in this class, knowing who you are, recognizing people and objects, remembering what you did on your birthday, where you parked the car, and your grocery list, just to name a few (McLeod, S. A. 2008).

The system is designed to store small amounts of information for a short period of time. When we think of memory, this might be the type of memory that first comes to mind (although others may argue long-term memories are more important) – when we try to remember a phone number, pay attention to a conversation, or try to follow along while reading a textbook – these are all examples of STM (PSU 2014).

Working memory is involved in storing information for a short period of time but it is also involved in reasoning and comprehending language. Instead of all information going into one single store, there are different systems for different types of information.  Working memory consists of a central executive, which controls and coordinates the operation of two subsystems: the phonological loop and the visual-spatial sketchpad.

Working memory is the same as short-term memory. It is like when some thing is on automatic pilot and you forget where the actual command is. The working memory applies to real life tasks such as reading (phonological loop), problem solving (central executive), and navigation (visual and spatial processing) (McLeod, S. A. 2008).

Central Executive is the most important determines what working memory pays attention to and will allow passing through into Long Term Memory (LTM), like a filter.

There are 3 systems controlled by the central executive; the phonological loop, the visuo-spatial sketchpad and the episodic buffer which combines the information from the other two allowing us, for example, to walk around our houses and count the amount of windows at the same time in our heads.

The phonological loop is the part of working memory that deals with spoken and written material. It can be used to remember a phone number. It consists of two parts (phonological store, inner ear – iinked to speech perception and holds information in speech-based form (i.e. spoken words) for 1-2 seconds and articulatory control process, inner voice – linked to speech production. It is used to rehearse and store verbal information from the phonological store). The Visuo-Spatial Sketchpad (inner eye) stores and processes information in a visual or spatial form. The VSS is used for navigation, and the episodic Buffer. The episodic buffer acts as a ‘backup’ store, which communicates with both long-term memory and the components of working memory.

Sometimes I forget where I parked my car if it is in a different place than the usual spot and my memory doesn’t kick in for a few seconds. I get scared that it was stolen. Eventually I remember after going through my file cabinet of memory. There are also times when I’m on my cell phone and at the same time, I am frantically looking for it. How crazy is that that I forgot that fast that I am actually talking on my cell phone. My memory has gotten so bad that I have to put sticky notes my computer to remember things, especially where I park my car.

The mind is so incredible and learning about it, studying it, and remembering it is all part of the Shot Term Memory process.

Reference:

Goldstein, B. (2011). Cognitive Psychology: Connecting Mind, Research and Everyday Experience, 3rd Edition. Wadsworth, Inc.

McLeod, S. A. (2008). Working Memory. Retrieved from http://www.simplypsychology.org/working%20memory.html

The Pennsylvania State University (2014). Commentary. Lesson 05: Short Term and Working Memory. Retrieved from https://courses.worldcampus.psu.edu/fa14/psych256/001/content/06_lesson/06_page.html